quick menu

Attempted phone scam

Attempted phone scam

Contributor barefoot
Contributor
Message 1 of 6
(2,454 Views)

Saturday 12/16..Received call around noon from 720-111-4555. Person speaking in broken English (Indian/Pakistani) told me he got a report that there was a problem with my PC. Bells immediately went off ( Mac User) as I questioned him further, he would not tell me who he represented or what the specific problem was with my PC. I should have played along with him to get more information and fine out what he was really trying to get. He became suspicious and hung up. When I call the number he called from on my phone I got a " phone no longer in service" message. Pass it on to your Verizon FiOS customer base. These folks are up to no good.  

5 REPLIES 5
Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I
Message 2 of 6
(2,429 Views)

Good find,  I think consumers can also file complaints with FCC by selecting wired phone

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Contributor CharlieFoxx
Contributor
Message 3 of 6
(2,392 Views)

Has The same thing happen to me about 6 months ago,  same accent.  I kept them on the line and managed to get more info out of them.  The first tip off was they represented in a left handed way as being connected with Microsoft.  You and I both know that Microsoft doesn't call anyone out of the blue.  They said they had identified a threat to my PC and that I was under a cyber attack at that time and they could put an end to that for $125.00.

I'm sorry to say it was at that point I got **bleep** and insulted the guy and a few generations of his family both living and yet to be born.  At which time we hung up.  I immediately ran all my virus programs and found a virus tracked it back to facebook contact where it originated.  If your a facebook user I would open a new account.

Oh and these guys called me within thirty seconds when I first signed on that day.  Was able to track them back to India but lost them there.

Charlie Foxx

Copper Contributor evelynsalt
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 6
(2,330 Views)

I got a call from that phone number, too. The call came last week. The caller said they detected a virus in my computer and that it's gonna crash my system down if not removed right away. I already knew it was a scam right away but what caught my attention was that the scammer knew my name, phone number and email address. 

Copper Contributor evelynsalt
Copper Contributor
Message 5 of 6
(2,329 Views)

By the way, I looked up the phone number and this page came up:  http://www.callercenter.com/720-111-4555.html . Apparently, several people also received scam calls, too.

Highlighted
Contributor ohsonia
Contributor
Message 6 of 6
(2,006 Views)

HI , THIS EXACT THING JUST HAPPENED TO US. same exact, indian/pakistani accented voice telling us that " your Verizon is highly infected, and your windows will crash" when i said "I think you are a scammer" they said prove it, and when I said it again, they hung up.

PLEASE VERIZON, SEND A LETTER OUT TO YOUR ELDERLY CUSTOMERS WARNING THEM NOT TO FALL FOR THIS TRICK.  THE ACCOUNT IS IN THE NAME OF MY 80+ YEAR OLD MOTHER, SO IT SEEMS THAT THEY ARE TARGETING ELDERLY SPECIFICALLY.

I would like to see some specific response from Verizon to this issue!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios