Battery Back up in the BRU? unit in my bedroom closet
Rhopkins01902

So, customer services says its my responsibility to pay the almost $50 for a battery, so I would have services in the event of a blackout. Well I don't have the extra $50 Fine no battery backup. But now they tell me there is no way to silence the BAD battery single beep from the fiber termination unit  in bedroom closet, that keeps me awake at night! At least till a working battery is installed...  No the silence alarm is for when theres a blackout, and it's a more continous alarm signal.. This is more like water dropping, but louder!

You know I have had enough sleepless nights, Comcast never made me pay for a battery and They replaced two in my 10 years with them, I am ready to go back to them, after all the service is really NO BETTER!

At least Comcast equipment has never kept me awake at night!

**bleep** OFFF, very fustrated at 1:25am again...

I am Uplugging the blipping thing to get sleep now... No TV, PHONE, Internet all goes down.. This isnt a solution, just a bandaid!

{edited for privacy}

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Battery Back up in the BRU? unit in my bedroom closet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't have to buy a battery from Verizon.  You can buy them online or at a local hardware store for a lot less.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

In addition you should be able to just remove the battery.  You end up with no battery backup for the 'up to 8 hours" after losing power.  But the backup is only for phone service anyway.  If you have a cell phone it is no big thing, you can even set your service to automatically transfer calls in case of power outages.

0 Likes
Rhopkins01902

They are china knock-offs and last just over a year, where as the quality batteries like the one thats dead in the unit has a date on it from 2008!

I shouldn't have to pay anything its part of the ONT/BRU, Verizon's own TOS states they have responsibility up to an INCLUDING this unit. They are violating their own TOS!

The beeping sounding keeping me awake I am starting to think it's coorporate entrapment into purchasing something I shouldn't have to, or if I opt-out and decide service during a black-out isn't a big deal. I should be able to at the least.

The fact its forcing me to purchase additional undisclosed cost is wrong...

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Rhopkins01902

I tried with the battery IN and OUT still beeps every 5 minutes, only once but extreamly loud

You just start to fall asleep and BEEP.. My wife is sleeping on the couch in the living room, if I don't unplug the whole unit...

R.H.

0 Likes
Rhopkins01902

Up to '8 hours' from that battery? From what I have read it is just the phone, not the internet that internal battery backs-up!

I use VoIP, and all my stuff is on a single large UPS. If the unit wasn't in my closet at the other end of the premisis it would be plugged into this UPS. But would be still BEEPING til I put a useless battery in the unit itself! Useless as it wont provide power for internet service in event of black-out..   Infact I was told I have to go into closet and hit a button to even get it come up for telephone, or it shuts off completely. Stupid design. But it's Verizons baby to manage or so the TOS states, INCLUDING the battery!

So to sum it up I need to pay $50 or close to it, where my only benifit is to stop the beeping, as I get nothing I need in the way of backup (Internet service) I would require anyways.

RH

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rhopkins01902 wrote:
I shouldn't have to pay anything its part of the ONT/BRU, Verizon's own TOS states they have responsibility up to an INCLUDING this unit. They are violating their own TOS!

You might want to go read the TOS again.  Verizon has been quite clear from day one that the battery is owned by the customer.  They used to provide a battery at install time free of charge, but that changed a few years ago.  Even when they gave away the first battery they never gave away replacements.

If your BBU doesn't stay quiet when the silence button is pressed, you might have a really old one.  You may be able to get Verizon to replace the BBU.  Have you asked for a new BBU?

Note that the latest BBUs have a backup battery as an option.  The back unit that Verizon sells now is simply a case for a large number of D-cells.  "Batteries not included."  So, even after a customer shells out $40 for the battery case, they then have to buy a bunch of D-cells.  If you get a BBU designed for the optical battery pack, it should shut up when no battery is there.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Verizon can change the bbu to a power adapter that does not have a battery backup or if Verizon does not want to change the bbu they are suppose to give you a battery for free if you do not want the battery backup but it continually beeps.

0 Likes