Battery back-up - what they don't tell you--Its not optional
stephenboese

Just signed up for FIOS last week.  Was told that the battery back-up was "optional" and would cost an additional $30.  Since we have a cell phone, we saw no need for the battery backup and declined.

Here's what they don't tell you:

The powerbox will loudly beep every five minutes with no battery!  It apparently interprets the lack of battery as a weak battery and signals the alarm.  Yes you can silence the alarm with a push of a button, but every 24 hours it starts again. And, I imagine with most homes, like mine, these boxes are not installed in a convenient location.

I bought a battery for about half the price on-line, installed it: problem solved. 

FIOS should not advise new customers that this is optional, it is not.

(I tried to take this upon the phone with customer service, but that was extremely frustrating.  I am polite, respectful and diplomatic.  I explained the problem.  It's like talking to a wall.  FIOS customer service apparently has no authority to problem -solve or discuss issues outside of a narrow script)

0 Likes
Re: Battery back-up - what they don't tell you--Its not optional
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@stephenboese wrote:
... Was told that the battery back-up was "optional" and would cost an additional $30.  Since we have a cell phone, we saw no need for the battery backup and declined. ...

... The powerbox will loudly beep every five minutes with no battery!  It apparently interprets the lack of battery as a weak battery and signals the alarm.  Yes you can silence the alarm with a push of a button, but every 24 hours it starts again. And, I imagine with most homes, like mine, these boxes are not installed in a convenient location.

I bought a battery for about half the price on-line, installed it: problem solved. 

FIOS should not advise new customers that this is optional, it is not... 

I am not sure how you came upon your information, but there is not now, nor has there ever been, a "battery option."  If you get FiOS and if you get an ONT, you get a battery.  There is no argument, option, or anything similar.

If the battery dies, it must be replaced.   There are methods of disabling the battery and all associated noises, and they have been detailed in deadening repetitiveness in these pages perhaps a hundred times or more.  Use the forum search to find them.

As you noted, it's not necessary to purchase the battery from Verizon.  This has also been detailed in the forums many times.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lots of reports that they are now charging for the battery on new installs.

The ONT should work fine without a battery, although for some model ONT's, it is a pain to keep the alarm silent.

0 Likes
sdressel

I agree that this issue has been detailed extensively.  But I don't agree that we shouldn't complain about it.  It is a ridiculous system and very annoying problem. 

0 Likes
Webdar55

Well, when I signed up for my FIOS package, a year ago, I was also asked if I wanted battery backup for my phone, in case of an outage. I told them no, as I couldn't afford the $30 for the battery. NOT ONCE did they say it wasn't optional, and that I had to have it. I assumed I didn't have it, as my phone never works when the electricity goes out, but low and behold, earlier this evening, the beeping started. I looked up the price on the Verizon site and it's now 39.99 for a replacement. Why should I have to pay for a replacement when I didn't want one to begin with. If the equipment MUST have the battery, then Verizon should replace them at no cost to the customer, expecially when we said we didn't want one.  I'm disabled and live on limited income, and can't afford this darn battery. I just want to take it out, but it sounds like I'll still get some beeping. Gotta love how the companies screw the customers. 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

You can refer to some of the posts on the forum like these:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone-Landline-or-Digital/Fios-Phone-Line-equipment-constant-beepi...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/General-Residential-Products-and/Need-instructions-for-replacing-batter...

Or you can call Verizon and ask to speak to a tech for directions on disconnecting the battery.

0 Likes