Battery backup: to replace or not?
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1
I have FIOS TV and Internet but no phone. I have been replacing the backup battery every 12-18 months - which is all it seems to last - using 3rd party knock offs. I do see that people have indicated that the official verizon batteries last longer. However, so I need to replace it? As I understand it the battery is only to backup the phone - which I don't have. Is this correct? Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: Battery backup: to replace or not?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The battery backups voice, video and Internet for a very short period of time.  Maybe 5 minutes, if not less.

It backs up phone for as long as the battery lasts, which is a max of 8 hours.

My battery is many years old.  I'll replace it when the BBU flags it as bad.  I don't get many outages where I live, so it's not critical.  I also use a UPS to keep Internet up for longer than the 5 or so minutes the BBU supplies.

For you, I'd suggest keeping the battery until the BBU says it's bad.  If you want to replace it when it fails to get the short backup, go ahead.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

I have experienced long power failures (days) and the Internet and TV remains on for extended periods - assuming the set top box and router are plugged into a generator. I did not plug the unit with the battery into the generator.  So either the battery was keeping the Internet and TV running or it plays no part in this and is only for the phone?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's odd.  The typical BBU (battery backup unit) supplies all power to the ONT.  It signals the ONT when running on battery which causes the ONT to switch off TV and Internet.  The system is designed to never run TV and Internet from battery.

The battery will only last a few hours, so we know you weren't using it. I suspect you may not realize your FiOS equipment is plugged into a generator powered circuit.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SimonMason wrote:
I have FIOS TV and Internet but no phone. I have been replacing the backup battery every 12-18 months - which is all it seems to last - using 3rd party knock offs. I do see that people have indicated that the official verizon batteries last longer. However, so I need to replace it? As I understand it the battery is only to backup the phone - which I don't have. Is this correct? Thanks.

Just disconnect it, in your case it's not needed.

As far as I know it's only purpose is to provide power for the phone system.  I belive it is designed to give several hours of power however that is only meaningful if you have a regular POTS phone - plain old telephone system unpowered phone.  In today's world most phones are hand held models that work from 110v powered base stations so no power no phone.

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Just to confirm - when you say disconnect it, are you talking about the battery or the unit itself?  Also, if it is the battery I am disconnecting, will the alarm continue to signal or will it stop?  Thanks.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SimonMason wrote:

Just to confirm - when you say disconnect it, are you talking about the battery or the unit itself?  Also, if it is the battery I am disconnecting, will the alarm continue to signal or will it stop?  Thanks.

The battery.  

I just pulled the spade clip off of the terminal.  Immediately silenced the beeping.  Reconnecting it was still silent.  Then it started beeping againa month later, think it is some kind of monthly test so finally just left it disconnected.

0 Likes