Broke phone? Or line?
MrBilzor

I've basic phone service and DSL.  The phone in my house doens't have a dial tone.  When I call the house I hear a ring through my cell, but not in the house.  My DSL works (mostly) fine.

I do not have call waiting, if I don't have a dial tone in the house shouldn't my line be in use, and therefor busy?

If the phone line is busted, why does DSL work?

Can anyone tell me what happens when you call a houseline that doesn't have any phones plugged in?  Does is just ring?

I'm trying to figure if my phone/answering machine exploded before I get Verizon tech to come look at my apartment.  I'd like to exhaust my options first, yeah?

0 Likes
Re: Broke phone? Or line?
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, you can get ring, no answer if no phone is plugged in. The ring you hear is the ring from the central office. If you have more than one phone, unplug each and one at a time plug them back in, one at a time. This will tell you if it is one of your phones or the answering machine that is causing the problem. If you don't have a maintenance plan with Verizon and they come out for a repair and the problem is caused by your phone/answer machine, you will be charged.

If there is no dial tone in the first step, try this; You should have a box, where the phone line comes into the house. There is a test jack in the box, where you can plug your phone in to see if there is dial tone there.. If you still don't get dial tone there, call Verizon. If there is no box, call Verizon. Even if the problem is with the phone or wiring you will not be charged, because there is no test point.

(you used the term house and apartment in your question...If you live in an apartment building, step 2 may not be possible) 

0 Likes