Caller I.D.
CrabbyTomTree
Enthusiast - Level 1

How can a call that comes in to my home phone have my name and phone number on the caller I.D.?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Caller I.D.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Somebody who uses VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) to place calls.  Google "CallerID spoofing" for more info.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a fundamental issue with the way the CallerID system was designed back in the 1970's.  With today's technology, a VoIP user can insert whatever phone number they want to be sent for CallerID.

CallerID only transmits phone numbers.  In order to display a name, the recpient's telephone company looks up the phone number in a database.  That's why your name appears on the CallerID; obviously your phone company knows your name.

The process of inserting fake CallerID into the phone system is called "spoofing." It is a complex, expensive problem to solve that involves all telephone system operators.  It won't be solved soon.  The simple way to deal with this is to not answer any calls from your own number; they are clearly announcing themselves as spoofed calls.

Enjoy.

CrabbyTomTree
Enthusiast - Level 1

What is a VolP user?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Somebody who uses VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) to place calls.  Google "CallerID spoofing" for more info.

Enjoy.