Switch Account

Caller ID and Cell Phones

Caller ID and Cell Phones

Contributor LEN864
Contributor
Message 1 of 6
(14,816 Views)
I just got caller id and see that cell phones seem to only show a phone number of who's calling but not the actual name of who's calling.  Is there anyway I can get cell phone callers identified on caller id with their name.  My wife has a cell phone and sometimes calls me while out of the house--it would be nice to not just see the phone number showing in caller id but her name as well.  Any help would be appreciated.  Regards, Len
5 REPLIES 5
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 2 of 6
(14,802 Views)
Len, I don't believe that the caller ID will show the name of a cell phone caller.
Contributor LEN864
Contributor
Message 3 of 6
(14,791 Views)

>Len, I don't believe that the caller ID will show the name of a cell phone caller. <

Thanks for this information--I'm kind of disappointed--with so many people now using cell phones to make call the value of caller ID loses some of its value for me.  Is there a way to check the caller id messages anywhere on the internet--something like a reverse caller id?  Regards, Len

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 4 of 6
(14,779 Views)

On some phone systems you can get some of what you are looking for. On my Panasonic phones any call I receive from anyone in my in phone-phonebook shows the caller info. For example when I get a call from my friend Peter's cellphone, the caller ID on my phone shows "Peters Cell",  the same as it is listed in my phonebook. The same process occurs when I receive a call on my Verizon cellphone with caller ID.

Verizon also offers a feature in some areas called "call assistant', which may bring you some of the features you are lookin for. Check out the Verizon websight.

Message Edited by HenryFarpolo on 08-25-2008 11:35 AM
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 5 of 6
(14,766 Views)

Cellular carriers do not utilize (do not deliver to the handset) the Calling Name portion of the Caller ID info --they have chosen to deliver only the calling phone number when available.

However, most cell phone handsets will display whatever 'indentification' you assign to a given phone number if/when you choose to save that phone number in your cell phone's phonebook or 'contacts'.  Cordless phones (for wireline) also may operate in this manner --that is, they will substitute the name you assign in the phone's phonebook for the Calling Name delivered by the landline phone compnay.

Message Edited by kvelling on 08-25-2008 04:56 PM
Contributor LEN864
Contributor
Message 6 of 6
(14,757 Views)

>Verizon also offers a feature in some areas called "call assistant', which may bring you some of the features you are lookin for. Check out the Verizon websight.<

Thanks, I went to the website at  http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/Phone/Calling+Features/Home+Voice+Mail/Questions+and+Answer...

and found it interesting--I don't know if it will help that much but plan on researching it further.  Regards, Len

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.