Caller ID intermittent with FIOS
timchad

I switched to FIOS service for phone/internet/TV in October.  My TV and internet work fine.  My phone works, except that caller id only works intermittently (about 1in 5 calls show up on caller id).  I called tech support several times, been told many different things to try and even tried buying a new phone.  Nothing fixed the problem.  A technician came to my house and told me he could find nothing wrong.  His only suggestion was to try using a phone cord that didn't have stranded wire.  Like a fool, I went to several stores only to discover that they all had stranded wire.  It wasn't until a second technician came to my house and he spoke with someone back at Verizon, who spoke with someone else was it discovered that this is a known problem with their system.  The technician even tried swapping the ONT box, but this did not fix the problem.  According to the technician there have been many calls logged of customers with the same problem, there was nothing he could do, but Verizon knew of the problem and there were engineers working on solving the problem.

Does anyone else know anything about this problem and how close Verizon is to solving it?  I like their tv and internet service but would also like my caller id to work.  If this isn't resolved soon I'm considering switch my phone service to another provider.  I understand when there are problems or glitches with service but I don't want to pay for a service that does not work as advertised indefinitely.

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID intermittent with FIOS
Justin46
Legend

I have seen a few other posts about this problem. However, it is not universal with FiOS, I have had FiOS phone, TV, and internet for over 3 1/2 years and as far as I know I have never had a caller id failure, and I watch it pretty closely. I have had Verizon Call Assistant for 6-8 months now, it displays on my computer when a call comes in and it also has a web interface, I have a number of times compared the Call Assistant list of calls against my caller id list on the phone and they have always matched.

As just a customer I of course have no idea what the problem may be or when it will be fixed. But if Call Assistant it is available in your area you might sign up, it is free, and it seems to provide an accurate call record, at least for me. But be aware that some people have complained that Call Assistant consumes excessive resources on their computer; I have never experienced that, but some do, for some reason.  

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID intermittent with FIOS
ambruno1132
I have the same problem, and a solution is to unplug the phone (power and phone) for about a minute, then reconnect.  This only fixes the problem for a few calls.  From other posts, it seems to be a Verizon problem with no immediate solution.
0 Likes