Cannot find network interface device
delray
I live in a row house and cannot locate my network interface device.  Have looked every where outside and in my utility room.  IS the NID in my Brinks alarm main box?  Any suggestions on where to look?
0 Likes
Re: Cannot find network interface device
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Can you see where your phone line comes into your house?  If you see where it enters your home (from the pole), try looking around in that area.  If it isn't outside, then normally they will be found in the basement or closet.  It shouldn't be in your alarm box, but you might want to just trace out the wiring from that alarm box to see if it runs into your NID. 

0 Likes
Re: Cannot find network interface device
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

You may not have a NID.  Buildings/houses that had telephone service prior to divestiture in 1984 did not have NIDs.  Normally an older installation would not get a NID installed unless/until there was a trouble condition that required a truck roll to that location.  The depending on the actual trouble it was the technician's choice to install (or not install) a NID.

You should however have a service termination/junction block where the drop (from aerial or buried cable) to the house wiring is connected --but this is for telco use, not the subscriber. 

0 Likes