Confused
coryclan

Hi all

I am confused...I thought that when I bought the triple play (internet, tv, and phone) that all of the services were to be run over the new fiber optic cable...reason I am confused is that today none of the phones in the house work ( no dial tone), and when I traced the wires I see that the phone section in the ont is being fed by a single old style wire that is being run from my old interface box on the outside of the house, and the fiber optic seems to only do the tv and internet...and even though the phone doesn't work the internet and tv are working fine.  I guess my question is whether the phone is supposed to be routed through the fiber optic cable or not.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Re: Confused
Justin46
Legend

John,

I think you are looking at the connection backwards. The phone service to/from your house does travel over the fiber (unless you specifically requested and Verizon agreed that it was to stay on the copper), to the ONT. From the ONT there is a connection to the old telephone block (NID) on the side of your house, and then the connection to your phones goes from there over your original twisted pair copper inside the house. I am sure the installers disconnected the original copper wires that connected to the NID from the street (again, unless you requested they not do that and they agreed, which is unlikely I think); I can see the old copper from the street at my installation, but it just sits there, disconnected.

All of the FiOS service is via the fiber to the ONT on or in your house, but from there all of the internal connections in the house are twisted pair (phone), coax (TV and probably internet), and ethernet cable (internet if coax is not used for that).

Have the phones ever had dial tones since FiOS was installed? If no, then the installation was not done correctly and you should call the FSC. If yes, take a phone out to the NID and plug it in to see if you have a dial tone there, or alternatively open the ONT and connect it there. If you do have a dial tone there, then the problem is inside the house or from the ONT to the NID to the phones. If there is no dial tone at the ONT or NID, then you have a FiOS problem that needs to be corrected and you need to call the FSC.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

coryclan

Hi Justin

Bingo.  Thanks for the explanation...you're right, I was looking at it backwards, and as soon as I started reading your explanation that light bulb came on in my head...boy it sure is easy to only see something one way...thanks.

Repair person was here today...turns out my ont had to be replaced...seems it took a hit during a thunderstorm, and only the phone was out, not the tv or internet.

Thanks for your help.

John

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

John,

You are welcome, and glad to hear the problem is resolved. I guess maybe I have been very lucky, 4 years with the same ONT, no problems and still on the original battery.  We get LOTS of thunderstorms around here, power was off for about 9 1/2 hours last week at our house, but some people didn't get their power back for 4 days in mid-90 degree weather so I'm not complaining.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes