DO NOT USE NOMOROBO!

Contributor NOMOofthat
Contributor
Message 31 of 33
(1,155 Views)

Hello - I have been faithfully going to my online account for months and blocking the robocalls I get - until I got one again from an 800 number I already had blocked.  When I spoke wiht Verizon, they explained these outfits can make it look like the same number but it's actually not and recommended using NOMOROBO.  Well, I had three robo calls the following day from the usual "local looking" phone numbers and on top of it, the service blocked a legitimate call from the city's municipal call line that can be about anything from trash pick-up to snow emergencies.  No good. Verizon was of no help.  They referred me to cancel via the DONOTCALL number.  I found like you that NOMOROBO was crazy inaccessible, but I persisted and managed to sign back in at https://www.nomorobo.com/ and then move to my own account at https://www.nomorobo.com/phone which has a dashboard and a page to "Add, remove and setup your phones here."  We have two landlines that I had enabled with the call blocking.  When I clicked on one number at a time to disable NOMOROBO, I was given instruction on how I first had to go to Fios® DIGITAL VOICE and delete a phone number that appears there for Calling Features >> Simultaneous Ring.  I deleted the 888 number (who knows what that has to do with but it worked) Once I did that, I hit NEXT at the bottom of the page, and that led to another page that generated a test call to that number confirming I had disabled the service. I repeated the process for the other line.  Now they both changed from green "protected" to red "not protected."  Frankly, I plan to continue from here to just go up to Verizon each day and block calls that didn't leave a message.  Done, end of story.  I wish you luck in doing this as well!

Highlighted
Contributor aka22
Contributor
Message 32 of 33
(1,011 Views)
HAS BECOME ALMOST WORTHLESS. Mostly because of same exchange spoofing (calls which spoof the first six digits of your own no. to make you think it might be someone you know and pick up the phone (/aka "Neighbor Spoofing" /aka "NPA-NXX spoofing".) They say that they are actively working to prevent calls like this. However, I have been dutifully reporting these calls, at least 2 or 3 a day, but have now given up on reporting them, since in the past year and a half or more nomorobo has not blocked a SINGLE INSTANCE of one of these calls. They keep getting through, so pointless to report them. Re. calls like this, their help desk (https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016100171-What-is-Neighbor-Spoofing-) says, " Report the call to Nomorobo! We are actively working to build features to specifically handle this tactic. Your reports are crucial to making this happen." NONSENSE. ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME.
Contributor FlyingPigNJ
Contributor
Message 33 of 33
(334 Views)

I'm so sorry that I did not get to read this first. The number of robo calls went up immediately after I signed up with nomorobo. The only way I can battle the robocalls is through verizon's block list, but that block list is difficult to use, often frozen and is limited. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.