Digital Voice - ACR
vcorde
Enthusiast - Level 3

Recently switched phone service from Vonage to FiOS bundle including Digital Voice. The Anonymous Call Rejection feature states:  all anonymous calls rejected , my job gets through with Private or PPP listed in the Caller ID. I've seen earlier posts for POTS stating if it comes through a PBX system it will bypass ACR. How is it possible that Vonage worked perfectly each time and Verizon can't make it happen??????? 

0 Likes
Re: Digital Voice - ACR
VZ_Erik
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its hard to pin point exactly what’s happening here, I know sometimes ACR lets calls through if they are not blocked by the caller, like you mentioned, through a PBX, and they will still come up as private. This usually only happens if the number was not directly dialed from the caller. The call actually came from a number that isn’t recognized by Caller ID. Examples: Some PBX units, Certain Mobile Phones, Calling Cards, through an Operator, etc.

0 Likes
DARPA-LABS
Enthusiast - Level 3

ACR only blocks calls that are purposely blocked by the caller using *67.  ACR does not block calls that do not have CID information such as international calls, PBX calls that fail to provide data, bogus sales calls that use fake CID information and so forth.

I am looking for a blocking solution as well.   FiOS has now come up with FiOS Digital Voice - since you came from Vonage you will like this.

See the FiOS Digital Voice manual for all the features:

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosvoice/userguide/User_Guide.pdf

At present, we have FiOS Voice - regular POTS that is sent via dedicated ATM channel to the central office but terminates to the POTS system. With Digital Voice, they will use prioritized IP  and still get the benift of the 8 hour UPS provided on the FiOS system.  There is no hardware changes on your end, all the jacks will continue to work with all phones.  I read that SIPS support will be provided as well, in the future.

I plan to make the swtich shortly, my largest concern was how VZ would deal with outages, as with FiOS Digital Voice it is not classified nor regulated the same way as regular FiOS Voice... on the pro side .. you lose some taxes with FDV!

Good luck.

0 Likes
vcorde
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Digital Voice now and was attracted to it because it was supposed to be exactly like Vonage plus bundling was to save me about $20 per month. The ACR feature never failed with Vonage, every number that was not caller ID'd properly is blocked no matter it's format. It was perfect and I am sorry I made the change. Saving a 20 spot each month is not worth the hassle of anonymous calls or 6+ hours on the phone with Verizon support trying to get it going. Newest problem concerns internet speeds since I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. VZ In-Home-Agent & Optimizer don't function. Smiley Mad

0 Likes
DARPA-LABS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you sure you have Digital Voice and not the regular FiOS Voice service?  The new Digital Voice should indeed take care of the Unavailable call issues.  A friend has the service and claims it works flawlessly, thus why we I am looking to make the switch.

Check the manual I attached, it should help explain how to set up blocks, allowed lists, do not disturbs and so on.

More info:

http://sso.verizon.net/ssowebapp/login/fios/FiosVoiceLogin.jsp?pageFlow=FVAMLogin

FAQs:

https://www36.verizon.com/fiosvoice/help/FAQs.pdf

Edit:

Spoke to guy that has FiOS Digital and he said he made an Allowed List of all friends and family - thus when Do Not Disturb is activated all others are sent to VM.  There is no way to block "Unavailable" otherwise, but, you can block Unavailable when a number is included as some incoming calls fail to provide name but provide number.  I would say, adding a rule to block all Unavailable would be ideal, and VZ should work on that.   That said, all ACR people are blocked if you turn on ACR blocking.  That will block all Private and Anonymous callers that use *67 or have lines set to auto block outgoing calls.

0 Likes
vcorde
Enthusiast - Level 3

I specifically asked for and got Digital Voice because of it's numerous Vonage-like features. My account shows Digital Voice service and I access the features using the Digital Voice Account Manager software/site. I have the "incoming call block" activated and verified with green 'on'.     It also reads 'All anonymous calls are rejected'. I expected it to work perfectly as I had come to enjoy for five years with Vonage-**bleep** me! Thanks

Here's the page

Calling Features

Call Waiting On

Simultaneous Ring Off

Do Not Disturb Off

Call Forwarding Off

Locate Me Off

Incoming Call Block On

Incoming Call Block is currently activated

All anonymous calls are rejected.

Calls rejected from following numbers

Phone Number