Digital voice and copper line
techgeekny
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently don't have verizon for anything but the old fashioned phone line.  I am considering changing because frankly I'm tired of overpaying for my cable internet and phone.  I have been trying to find the answer to this question online and from chatting with support people but I can get a straight answer so I am turning to the forum for some honest answers.  So My question is this:

I currently have an old copper line that is the main # and has been for years.  I have cable internet and a cable phone # (second line).  I want to move my internet from cable to fios as well as move my cable phone to the verizon digital voice.  While doing this i want to keep my main # that is currently on the old copper line right where it is without changing it.  Reason for this is in case of power outages the copper line always works.  I know there is a battery backup but I'd prefer the old copper just in case.  I also want to then drop the service on that copper line to the most basic of services (just enough for a dialtone and to make calls out locally and receive).  The question is can this be done and is it a big hassle.  And also what is the cheapest basic service available on the old copper line.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

0 Likes
Re: Digital voice and copper line
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Upon installation of FiOS, all service on the old copper infrastructure is removed.  You can't do what you suggest.

Instead, install FiOS.  Convert your old copper at that time to an FTTP (fiber).   Yes, this relies on the locally installed BBU to hold up the phone line during a power outage -- but this is a substantially long period of time and if you're really concerned about it, you can either keep a spare battery on hand -or- plug the BBU itself into as large a UPS as you'd like in order to keep things up an running.      This is really no different than copper today except that the "battery" has move from the central office to your premises.

For your second line from cable -- provided you can port the number -- you can either move this over to Verizon's Digital Voice which requires the internet to be up and functional (doesn't work in a local power outage) or explore using one ore more alternate and much less expensive VoIP providers.  Vonage is one you've probably heard of.  I personally use a company called PhonePower.   There are numerous others.   

I, in fact, don't have any phone service from Verizon instead having my primary home number on my VoIP provider mentioned above.   This provider has failover ring capability so in the event of an internet or power outage the number fails over to my cell phone number and incoming calls still are received.  My "backup" plan for a local outage in the event of an extend power outage is simply my cell phone -- easily recharged using a car charger if necessary.   My BBU is on a retired UPS that I used to use on my home computer and in which I put a new battery.   I've tested this config and my ONT has stayed up on UPS battery alone for over a day (plenty of time for me to haul out the portable generator that I keep for emergencies and fire it up and hook the ONT up to it)..

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Before we had FIOS we used Verizon Copper Phone Line service.  A number of years back in August the Northeast experienced a power outage at around 3pm.  My wife was on a corded phone and yes the phone continued to work but around 4:30 the phone went dead.  My neighbor who works for Verizon told me the battery back up in the CO failed and thus the reason we had no phone.  

So, as the previous posted indicated you can have your own back up plan or reply on the phone company that may not be so reliable after all.  My opinion, make the switch and be in charge of your own destiny.

0 Likes
Wow. VErizon Strikes again on Copper/Digital
hevero

. VErizon has declared my problem solved on ths forum and removed my messages but done NOTHING. Still waiting for repair person.

I guess we need a forum not controlled by Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Wow. VErizon Strikes again on Copper/Digital
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

hevero,

What messages were removed?  I don't see that any of your posts were removed from the forum.

The moderators have escalated your issue on three separate occasions.  If you're still having issues, please contact Heather_VZ via private message to see if she can assist you.

0 Likes
Re: Wow. VErizon Strikes again on Copper/Digital
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hevero,

We re-checked the issues that you reported previously and your billing issues were addressed and you have a technician in route as we speak.  Please send us a message if you are experiencing any additional problems.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

As I wrote in other posts, my recent FiOS package install was contingent on maintaining my existing Verizon POTS (copper) line in place.  Although this caused something of an order-taking and billing problem initially, the Verizon techs were able to stay on the phone with the home office and get things sorted (on the morning of the install).  It definitely can be done, but you just have to make sure that the request is followed through to completion.  My techs were very helpful throughout the process, and I remain very pleased with the install and the equipment so far.  I am a recent user, so that's about all I can say at present.  But frankly, so far so good.

0 Likes