Do not Disturb
DONOTDISTURB1

Do not Disturb does work, except it blocks ALL CALLS including the calls from your EXEMPTION LIST.

0 Likes
Re: Do not Disturb
rokrobin

I am still experiencing this same issue where the DND feature doesn't work as expected.  When activated all calls are blocked and it dosn't matter if that number is on my Exemption list or not.   I learned this the hard way.  It was a glorious couple of days without the phone ringing AT ALL, however we were missing calls from our family and friends that we did in fact want to hear from.  Good thing we have cell phones too.

I messaged Verizon about this earlier last year, they opened a support ticket, then closed it saying it was fixed.  Tis time I tested it first to be sure it worked and it still wasn't fixed.  Trying to use it again now and still not working.  Did anyone ever get this to work?

0 Likes
Betelgeuse2

Do Not Disturb only works with the exempt numbers list if you have it set to use the "standard" DND greeting - which just says "This number is not accepting calls at this time," and does not allow callers to access voice mail.  DND does not work properly with exempt numbers if you have DND set to send calls to Voice Mail - it sends all calls to voice mail.  To describe the problem simply - the system is forwarding calls to Voice Mail before it checks the exempt numbers list.  This is a programming error - a pretty basic, Computer Science 101 error, IMHO.  They're calling the "forward to voice mail" subroutine before they call the "check the exempt list" subroutine.  It should be a straightforward fix, if the programmers wrote any kind of quality code.

So you have a choice - either send all calls (including emergency calls from family members) to voice mail, or else totally blow off all calls from all numbers except those on your exempt list (maximum of 10 numbers).

It would be a kindness to describe this as an inadequately tested system design.

0 Likes
RemoveCallWait

I have a Line 1 (primary) and, mainly for faxes, Line 2 (secondary line).  On Line 2 I do not activate DND or call forwarding, so that incoming faxes will be received.  My question is about Line 1, on which DND is active; I get no rings; calls go to my presonalized voicemail greeting and callers can then leave an voicemail.  In My Verizon, the only optional feature I have selected is DND, not voicemail, which I guess would have my phone ring a few times before voicemail picks up (please tell me if that is that correct).   If so, then I have the settings I need, and I tell my friends to use my cell phone number if they need to reach me currently.  This was the only way I could get rid of the robocalls, which, even with nomorobo, would otherwise make one ring sound (10x/day).  I keep the landline Line 1 just so that anyone here could call out in an emergency, even without a cell phone.  I agree that DND perhaps could have been better explained and designed (even some Verizon reps don't understand it, as I found out today).    

0 Likes
RemoveCallWait

I meant to say that on Line 2, I do not activate DND and also do not activate voicemail so that incoming faxes are received.  I did not mean to say call forwarding, which I do not use on either Line 1 or Line 2.  

0 Likes
Betelgeuse2

Checked again today - "exempt" numbers go straight to voice mail, if voice mail is selected as an option (vs. the "standard" DND message).

BUT... Verizon's description of DND says:

"Had enough of the phone ringing? Do Not Disturb allows you to automatically forward all calls to a prerecorded message or to voicemail without ever ringing your phone. If you need to allow certain callers to reach you, simply list their numbers to be able to ring through."

That clearly indicates that exempt numbers should ring through, regardless of whether the user has selected the "prerecorded message" or voicemail.

This is deceptive advertising. I would say "carelessness," but the inaccuracy has been known by them for literally years, and the description is still on their web site.

They need to fix this. If their programmers are too incompetent to fix the service, then they need to put up an honest description of what works and what does not work.

0 Likes
Billy53

I used to have Do Not Disturb.  I don’t think it’s a mistake - it might be supposed to work this way.  The reason (well they could still leave a message so it’s not an emergency that they have to get the phone to ring).  You have to check your messages daily in case there’s something important on it.  Also, there’s a 4-digit override code - you have to give it to the people you want to have it.  Any time they here the Do Not Disturb message (whether there’s a voice mail option or not), they can enter it and your phone will ring.  A recorded person doesn’t tell them to enter it - they have to enter it without the person telling them.  You can always change the 4-digit override code or make it that there’s no override code at all.  I’ve got Call Intercept now and I like it a little better than Do Not Disturb.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes