Does verizon still offer "basic" landline service?
sao1231
Enthusiast - Level 1

I contacted a verizon rep to try to order a "basic" POTS line with no features, no long distance, etc, which used to cost about $15-$20 per month.

i want it for basically 2 things, to call 911 in emergencies, and the occasional fax/modem call I need to make.  The rep could only offer me regional essentials and freedom essentials, which were $45 and $65 + taxes and fees, etc, which would come to approximately $90 per month.  I am not going to pay $90 per month for a phone which is going to be used almost never, and is only for emergency use only.

How do I get a "basic" POTS phone line again like they used to provide?

Re: Does verizon still offer "basic" landline service?
jonjones1
Legend

Depending on what state you live in you may be eligible for life line service.

you must qualify for it however.

verizon has been trying to get customers off copper and on their digital or fiber optic phone services. Of which you will pay through the nose.

you can go and get a Magic Jack for about $35 for the device and you get a 6-12 months for free. You can then pay just $30 a year for the service or $109 for 5 years.

it can plug into your broadband modem or into your computer.

you can pick your own number within your area if available. And the calls are sharp and clear. Try that instead.

0 Likes
sao1231
Enthusiast - Level 1

That really doesnt help.  I am young and have 2 young children, I dont qualify for lifeline service.  The whole reason I am avoiding the Magic Jack and other digital solutions is that the E911 has proven very unreliable in my area.  I want a copper landline service specifically for emergencies.

i dont need long distance, I dont need voicemail.  I need a phone with a dialtone that will call my county 911 center and popup on their callerid with my name and address.  

jonjones1
Legend

@sao123 wrote:

That really doesnt help.  I am young and have 2 young children, I dont qualify for lifeline service.  The whole reason I am avoiding the Magic Jack and other digital solutions is that the E911 has proven very unreliable in my area.  I want a copper landline service specifically for emergencies.

i dont need long distance, I dont need voicemail.  I need a phone with a dialtone that will call my county 911 center and popup on their callerid with my name and address.  

Although this won’t help you, e911 service works very well with magic jack. You must put a valid house/apartment number in so it will be registered for assistance.

cellular also can be used for 911 calls, but it needs to be correlated to your location.

however if your not in NY state Verizon is just phasing out copper as old technology.

many auto connect devices used for people my age (old) are on cellular and work anywhere and everywhere. 

And my wife and I use two VoIP services (one magic jack) the other voipo and we never had an issue. The later voipo has a app that uses cellular if the main power should go off or you lose internet. So they are proven as reliable.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes