Re: Existing Customer can't switch from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice?
BeenDefrauded

Everyone might be surprised to learn that if you have the freedom essential package you are in fact being provided with digital service IF you also have FIOS.  I learned it this weekend and Verizon will do nothing about other than charge you double for the exact same thing.

I have been a loyal customer for 20 years and Verizon will not even admit they made this mistake.  I had a tech out at my house and he showed me that if yuo have a FIOS box then all your phone lines are digital and everything else is just nonsense.  I spoke to customer service and they admitted it as well but said there is nothing they can do and that I should switch away.

If there is an update to your stories please let me know. 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@BeenDefrauded wrote:

Everyone might be surprised to learn that if you have the freedom essential package you are in fact being provided with digital service IF you also have FIOS.  I learned it this weekend and Verizon will do nothing about other than charge you double for the exact same thing.

Two different services that actually act totally differently.  In fact until relatively recently you could not get Fios Digital Voice in many areas of the country.  The FIOS Digital Voice essentially is a VOIP service. It continues to travel as IP service until it reaches some part of the phone network that will not handle IP. The other, usually Freedom essentials, travels as digital optical to your local office where it joins all the old copper phone systems.  The actual Verizon services from the local office to the rest of the phone network has probably been digital for many years.

0 Likes
bayclub
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can someone up=date me re:  Copper Wire vs. Digital Voice.  Initially, when I spoke with someone last Saturday, the rep. re-bundled my package w/o informing me that my copper service would be swtiched to digital; as a result I did not have dial tone for several days (8) untril the computer system cleared.  On Tuesday, when I spoke to a tech they informed me of the "switch"???? and I explicity told themn that I never authorized it.  From that point on everyone who made a ticket caused more damage.  I had to use my cell phone minutes....The last post I saw mentioned the fact that if you have the Freedom Essential package you're already using digitial voice???? So, am I being billed "double" or what.  Does someone have a simple answer how to proceed?

0 Likes
bayclub
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS for my Internet & TV but never switched my landline phone?  However, VERIZON messed me up when they re-bundled my package...lost the dial tone for 8 days until the computer was cleared of all tickets?????  So, what's the story with Freedom vs. Digital.  Please use simple language...and I'll pursue the matter further.  I am tired of just being a "tickeet".  Loyality simply doesn't count.  Wondering if the Public Service Coimmission has any control?

0 Likes
oreogizmo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had Verizon Triple Play that included Verizon Freedom Essentials for phone service.  When I noticed that the price was being increased by $5 a month, I called and asked what else was available.  I was not under a contract at the time.  I ended up with Triple Play with Digital Voice instead of Freedom Essentials, at the price I as paying before the increase.  I also got higher internet speed and a few more TV channels.  Of course, I'm under contract again, but it seemed like a good deal to me.  By the way, I asked the rep why this isn't advertised as an upgrade, and he said they only mention it if someone asks about what's available.

I have had no problems since I switched to Digital Voice.  Only drawback is that I can no longer get the Caller ID pop up on my PC that I had through Call Assistant, since Call Assistant doesn't work with Digital Voice.  It has not affected the Caller ID on my TV.

0 Likes
Gumby5

Mike,

I would like to know if the Fios Digital Voice is available in my area as well.  I have the Fios Triple Play package with the Freedom Essentials and am not able to get anyone to tell me when or if Fios Digial Voice is available in our area.  I believe that it is in SE DC.

Perry

0 Likes
perkifried

FYI, I wouldn't be so quick to try get rid of your copper line, because once gone you will not be able to get it back. I live in NYC and Verizon wont even consider re-bundling my over-priced triple play unless I agree to go with the digital phone. This is something that I have never wanted to do because I fear of what would happen if the power were to go out for more that eight hours, which is the length of time your digital phones will work if the power does goes out. This is something I had a big argument with the sales people about before Hurricane Sandy struck our area, and when I spoke to people after, so many people didn't even realize that when the were signing up for the triple play packages what they were giving up. Yes you are saving money and yes Verizon wants to save money but what happens if something catastrophic occurs and you are without power for days or weeks.  I've lived in areas where the power has gone out and the phones almost always worked. I think its a mistake for us to allow this complete changeover to happen, we (along with our government) should have some control of our communications, and sometimes simpler is sometimes better. Have we been paying all these taxes and fees just so these companies could abandon the copper lines, lay off all of the workers who mantained them and adopt a new system? Telephone lines would be much easier to get going again in an emergency, we've been doing it for so many years, digital and cell phones not so reliable. When the power went out in the city, only one company had service and as far as the hurricane, people were charging their cellphones in restaurants or wherever they could, if they could get out, so not so reliable either when the power goes out. Also, the representative told me if I ever moved I would not be able to get a new copper line, they were no longer offering them, kind of scary. I can no longer get my fax machine to work since FiOS was installed so who know what they did, maybe some of you are right and its not really even a truly copper line. Thank goodness my lights haven't gone out, but if they do I hope my phone still works for more than eight hours. So for now I will be stobborn and not give up my copper line and will try to let people know what they are doing when they switch but I think we are being snowed and bullied by a coporate giant who in the end will get what they want anyway. All digital voice, copper elimination no matter what the risk.

0 Likes