FIOS TELEPHONE - AC HUM
CACTUS24

I HAD FIOS TELEPHONE/INTERNET INSTALLED OVERT THE SUMMER, I AM PLEASED WITH IT...

AN AC HUM STARTED ON THE TELEPHONE, A FEW MONTHS AGO...

HAS ANYONE ALSO HEARD AN AC HUM...

WHEN I UNPLUG THE AC POWER AND RUN ON THE BATTERY THERE IS NO AC HUM...

I CHECKED AROUND THE HOUSE FOR ANY UNSHIELDED TRANSFORMERS, I DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE

PROBLEM...

DO YOU THING THERE IS A PROBLEM IN THE FIOS BOX...

I AM GOING TO REMOVE THE BATTERY TO SEE IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE...

MAYBE THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE AC/DC INVERTER IN THE FIOS BOX..

I WAS AN ELECTRONICS PERSON IN THE USMC...

THE TELEPHONE IS A HARDWIRE CONNECTION RIGHT AT THE FIOS BOX...                                                                                                                 

BUCKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TELEPHONE - AC HUM
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

How many phones do you have in the house?   Do you get the hum on all of them?

Can you take the phone out to the ONT and plug directly into the "test" jack on the customer side of the ONT?  Do you still get a hum?

If the hum is not present when you plug into the ONT but is present at the phone when jacked in the house, then the phone cable running from the ONT to the wall jack must be passing near either power lines (doesn't need to be a transformer) or an flourescent light (remember all new CFL replacement bulbs for old incadescent bulbs are flourescent as well). 

From personal experience, I've had issues with a phone cable running right next to the breaker box as well as a phone cable laying too close to a power cord -- simply reorienting the cable solved that one.   It's really a matter of inches in many cases to get far enough away from the source of the noise.

CACTUS24

I HAVE ONLY ONE TELEPHONE ATTACHED TO THE FIOS BOX, HARDWIRED 3' CORD.

LAST NIGHT WAS A COLD NIGHT, THE AC HUM STOPPED, NOW IT IS BACK...

IN THE MILITARY I SAW PLUG CONNECTIONS PROBLEMS IN COLD/HOT WEATHER, USUALLY, A PLUG WAS NOT MAKING A GOOD CONTACT FROM THE START...

I WILL WATCH IT FOR AWHILE, CALL SERVICE IN THE SPRING...

WILL STILL CHECK AROUND AND POST ANY NEWS...  

0 Likes
CACTUS24

12/24/10 - AC HUM HAS GONE AWAY SINCE THE WEATHER HAS TURNED COLD.

COULD BE A CONECTION/GROUNDING PROBLEM. 

0 Likes
CACTUS24

1/28/11 - THE AC HUM IS ON AND OFF, I SEEM TO THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BATTERY (B+) OR

THE BATTERY CHARGER, I WILL REMOVE BATTERY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I DO NOT USE THE TELEPHONE ALOT,

WILL MAKE SERVICE CALL WHEN THE WEATHER IS WARMER. WHEN I UNPLUG THE FIOS BOX AC CORD, THE

AC HUM GOES AWAY...

0 Likes
CACTUS24

6/20/11 - THE AC HUM SEEMS TO HAVE GONE AWAY SINCE THE WEATHER HAS GOT WARMER. I BOUGHT A POWER STRIP WITH OUTLET ON/OFF SWITCHES, FOR NOW, IF THERE IS AN AC HUM I WILL TURN THE POWER OFF TO THE FIOS BOX. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you think there's an issue with the ONT's BBU or Transformer that is cuasing humming even at the test jack, get Verizon out to address it. If you have TV service or Internet service with Verizon, removing power from the ONT will make you lose TV and Internet usually within 10 minutes as the ONT tries to conserve battery. If it's only occurring on your wiring though I would suggest replacing the section at least connecting the ONT to your home's wiring with some CAT3 cabling at minimum.