FIOS X10 security alarm dialer failure
vkundakci

I have had a X10 dialer (PS561) on my Verizon copper line service for some time.  After the superstorm Sandy, we had to switch to FIOS phone service as the copper lines became unsalvagable.  The dialer stopped working.  The symptoms are such that the dialer is sending dial tones fine (I can hear them on another line) but the Verizon service responds with "your call cannot be completed as dialed".  The unit works fine elsewhere on non-FIOS lines.  I also ordered a different model X10 unit which failed the same way and I had to send it back.  Is there any hope that this problem can be solved by Verizon?  I can imagine that there is a problem with the voltage levels on the copper lines provided by the FIOS unit.  This has been very frustrating as the system is needed for dialing emergency numbers when my mother presses the panic button on her necklace remote.  Switching to FIOS phone service was not an option for us.  We had to do it.  By the way, I have tried a few other ideas suggested: Different phone numbers to call, using a DSL filter on the phone line, trying out other dialer units. Any suggestions will be appreciated, as well as a fix by Verizon.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: FIOS X10 security alarm dialer failure
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Have you contacted Verizon for repair or tried the troubleshooting tools?

You can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@vkundakci wrote:

I have had a X10 dialer (PS561) on my Verizon copper line service for some time ... we had to switch to FIOS phone service ... The dialer stopped working ... Any suggestions will be appreciated ...

First of all, have you changed the dialer's system to use 10 DIGIT DIALING?  This is mandatory on FiOS Digital Voice.

This issue is likely due to the nature of the alarm signal itself.  I have looked at the PS561 manual online, but it is impossible to know which system it uses.  It seems to be a dialer that transmits pre-recorded messages to a selection of phone numbers.   If instead it's a true alarm system dialer, it must (in the majority of cases) use something called "Contact ID" to transmit alarm information.  This is a system that is designed specifically for alarm systems.  If you cannot get this going, then you may not be able to use the PS 561.

Another thing to check is that the unit itself is set to the required parameters for FiOS Digital Voice (including the 10 digit dialing mentioned above). There is a misconception that FDV will not transmit alarm info because many folks think it's VoIP. In fact FDV is not strictly VoIP and most alarm systems will be able to transmit via Contact ID. I know this from my own system.

0 Likes
vkundakci

Yes, I have contacted Verizon FIOS Service at 888-553-1555.  They thought the unit cannot be used on FIOS, even though it works elsewhere as well as on their copper service which I had before the storm.  They also suggested that I post on this forum for either getting a suggestion or letting Verizon know that I am not happy with this non-solution.  /V

0 Likes
vkundakci

Yes, I have switched to 10 digit dialing.  Previously (on the copper line) dialing a 1 before the area code was required. Now (on FIOS) it is not accepted. I don't understand why dialing 1 is not optional/ignored.

I am not sure what you mean with your comment about the alarm signal.  Basically when the unit is triggered it takes the phone off hook and dials 10 digits, just like pressing a preprogrammed button on your phone. When the number is dialed, FIOS says that the call cannot be completed as dialed.  The only thing I can imagine is that the dialer is sending the tones too fast, as if it starts dialing before the dial tone.  If that is the case, I am not sure what the options are.

By the way, I had been testing this system monthly.  After FIOS was installed in Nov 2012, I am sure I tested the dialer and it dialed successfully.  After the first month dialing has not worked.

In any case, I am shopping around for another dialer now.  I will try a unit that I found on ebay, called something like Wireless PIR Home Security Burglar Alarm System Auto Dialer.

0 Likes
vkundakci

Update on the dialing problem:

The new "Wireless PIR Home Security Burglar Alarm System Auto Dialer" which I purchase on ebay works fine.  I may try the X10 system again, given the new sitation below:

I am now confused about the 10 digit dialing.  Before I posted these messages, I was getting a "do not dial 1" message if I preceded the area code with "1".  I am dialing from a Brooklyn 718 number.  347 and 718 numbers do not require a "1" but are accepted if I dail them before the area code.  On the other hand, other area codes, like 201 or 973, now require me to enter a 1.  I don't know what has changed.

/V

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@vkundakci wrote:

Update on the dialing problem:

The new "Wireless PIR Home Security Burglar Alarm System Auto Dialer" which I purchase on ebay works fine ... area codes, like 201 or 973, now require me to enter a 1.  I don't know what has changed ...

I don't know much at all about dialing requirements such as the "1" prefix.  In my experience dialing "1" prior to the area code works if needed, and is ignored if not needed.  I suspect that any differences from this behavior are related to your specific phone dialer rather than the VZ communications network.  Just a guess, of course.

Getting back to the dialer, it appears that the device you have is a standard phone dialer rather than a purpose-built alarm communications device.  In the simplest terms this means that it can be programmed to dial a number and present a pre-recorded message.  A true alarm system device is able to communicate in a protocol called "Contact ID" that presents coded signals specifying details of the alarm system and whatever trouble it has encountered.  This is the device that most home alarm systems and professional installers supply.
0 Likes