FIOS phone
is-it-just-me

When approached by Verizon reps to switch fo FIOS, I was told more than once that the battery provided by Verizon for the phone service was good for 8 hours of talk time.  I had an old phone that could be used with "regular" Verizon service in the event there was a power outage and I was concerned about losing that capability.  The two reps kept assuring me that it was 8 hours of talk time so I agreed to make the switch to FIOS for TV, Internet, and phone. 

During our recent snowstorm (VA), I lost power.  After about 8 hours,  I also lost my phone.  No, it did not last for 8 hours of talk time.  It would take me a long time to use up that kind of time. 

So, either the Verizon reps misrepresented the battery capability for phone service or the battery is not functioning as advertised.  Has anyone else had this same experience?  If so, what did Verizon tell you?

Thank-you.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS phone
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@is-it-just-me wrote:

When approached by Verizon reps to switch fo FIOS, I was told more than once that the battery provided by Verizon for the phone service was good for 8 hours of talk time.  I had an old phone that could be used with "regular" Verizon service in the event there was a power outage and I was concerned about losing that capability.  The two reps kept assuring me that it was 8 hours of talk time so I agreed to make the switch to FIOS for TV, Internet, and phone. 

During our recent snowstorm (VA), I lost power.  After about 8 hours,  I also lost my phone.  No, it did not last for 8 hours of talk time.  It would take me a long time to use up that kind of time. 

So, either the Verizon reps misrepresented the battery capability for phone service or the battery is not functioning as advertised.  Has anyone else had this same experience?  If so, what did Verizon tell you?

Thank-you.

is-it-just-me,

I'm sorry for your bad experience.  What the reps told you was not false.  I suppose you can argue semantics, but here is an excerpt from Verizon's official website:

"Verizon will install a battery back-up unit inside your garage or home. A 3-pronged grounded power outlet should be available nearby for the battery back-up unit. You are responsible for periodically replacing the backup battery. A battery unit will supply back-up power for standard voice service (but not Voice Over IP services), including E-911, for up to 8 hours. Backup battery does not supply power for Internet, VOIP, or video services. Not all Alarms (switch or private line), are compatible with fiber. A customer wanting a response activated alarm system should check with their specific alarm company for guidelines. It may be necessary to maintain/install a separate copper line into the home to support alarm service."

I'm not sure what the reps who sold you the service told you, but the operative words in the above expert are up to.  Ideally, yes- it would last for a full 8 hours of talk time.  However, since that capability is based on a great number of factors, it would be hard to guarantee it.

Again, I'm very sorry for your experience.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
is-it-just-me

Thank you for your reply.

To me, 8 hours of battery life versus 8 hours of talk time is not semantics.  Switching to FIOS has given me less capability than I had before wrt phone service.

When I was talking with the reps (they were doing door-to-door), we specifically spoke of what Verizon wrote (the extract you provided) and the what they stated was the "actual capability".  So, in my view, it was not accurately represented.

We specifically discussed the fact that I was concerned about losing phone service when I lose power, particularly since I don't have a cell phone nor do I want one.  With the Verizon I had before (copper), I didn't lose phone service when the power went out.

Based on our discussion of the capability that the battery would provide, I made the switch.  When I lost phone service, there was nothing special going on - the battery just died after 8 hours of battery life - not 8 hours of talk time.

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

The thing is..

When the power goes out the phone is live and using the battery. This is what allows you to receive in coming calls. So the battery is draining it's charge from the start.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have my FIOS power supply plugged into a UPS for added backup. The UPS drains and then the FIOS goes on battery. Depending on the UPS, it could add time before your FIOS battery starts to drain. It also allows you to use your Internet if your router is on the same UPS. My router is connected to the same power as the ONT, and my computer uses another UPS. This allows me to complete what is in progress and then shut everything down. But yes the key words are UP TO.

0 Likes