FiOS and ADT/Brinks Security
urbanmusher

Are these compatible or not?  I have had ADT for years with no problems.  As soon as FiOS was installed, my alarm system no longer worked.  Verizon absolutely REFUSES to take responsibility for this and says it is NOT their issue.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS and ADT/Brinks Security
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They are compatible,   Did you point out to the installer that you had one when he was installing?  maybe he didn't terminate it correctly to the fios. 

0 Likes
urbanmusher

I did tell the Verizon installer about the alarm system.  My mistake was just taking his word for it when he said everything would work fine.  I didn't test it until the next day and at that point ADT said they would come out and fix it at a cost of close to $200.  They (ADT) said the systems ARE compatible IF Verizon installs the FiOS line correctly.  When I called Verizon back and told them of my problem they said everything isobviously installed correctly because my phone is working.  Doing more research online, I see this is a problem and it does appear to be due to incorrect installation on Verizon's part but ADT is able to fix it, but at my expense.

Wish I would have done my research prior to the installation and asked ADT what to watch for and what info to give the FiOS installer.  Verizon is OBVIOUSLY aware of this problem but will not acknowledge it and will not correct it. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It sounds like just a lack of education on the part of tech support.  You should call back and try to get it escalated if needed.  Tell the rep your problem, hope you get someone that has some idea about what you are talking about, if they don't then just keep going until you get someone that does.  It just needs to be terminated properly. 

0 Likes
urbanmusher

Unfortunately it is always at least a 20 minute hold time to get thru to tech support.  Last time I called I did escalate up the line of supervisors but the end result was, if my phone (landline) is working they have done everything correctly.  Really too bad their customer service is so poor.  Can't recommend Verizon FiOS to anyone in the future.  So disappointed in their service and support.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind this is an issue between who did the install correctly and if the gear is compatible. If the tech was informed of the alarm system AND ADP/Brinks configued their system in a tie-in setup to have all of the home's wiring connected to the alarm panel and then the alarm panel connects to the Verizon network for a seize case, this could be a compatibility issue with FiOS DV (which is carrier grade VoIP) which does not play well with some systems. This is an equipment design issue with Brinks, not a Verizon problem.

If the tech did not correctly locate the key wire going to the alarm panel and there is a mess of cabling everywhere making tracing pretty tough, this is a cable mangement problem and techincally Verizon did the job to the best of their ability to ensure your home was connected.

If the tech intentionally did not locate your alarm's panel and instead decided to bypass the alarm, that would be an installer part. If the technician was told, acknowledged the alarm and simply forgot about the alarm, that's human error. If the tech didn't take the feed coming from your previous service, probably from the copper NID and attach it to the ONT, he either ran a new line and did not connect it to your line, which case this is a Verizon error, or, if he re-used the same line you're hitting point #1.

If ADT/Brinks did not install the panel correctly and instead tied it into your home's wiring without the home's wiring going through it to seize the line in the event of an emergency or report, this is something they need to fix, not Verizon.

Ultimately if you know where your telephone cabling meets (should be a central location), and ideally at that point going towards the ONT, reaching your alarm panel and finally, the ONT, you can figure out who the correct party is to blame.

0 Likes
urbanmusher

Thanks for this helpful information, but I'm still annoyed with Verizon for not even acknowledging their role in this mess.  Alarm worked BEFORE FiOS install and did not work AFTER . 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes