Filter for FIOS Phone Service
dick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FIOS for my phone service and I bought a new cordless phone and the instructions say to use a DSL Filter for High Speed Internet Service lines.  Is FIOS considered High Speed Internet Service and does it require this DSL filter? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Filter for FIOS Phone Service
iemahxha
Enthusiast - Level 2

You do not need the filter anymore. Make sure you remove all of them. FiOS which operates over glass is totally different from DSL which operates over copper. Glass is not susceptible to the electrical interference that makes the filter necessary for DSL.

View solution in original post

iemahxha
Enthusiast - Level 2

You do not need the filter anymore. Make sure you remove all of them. FiOS which operates over glass is totally different from DSL which operates over copper. Glass is not susceptible to the electrical interference that makes the filter necessary for DSL.

dick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  Makes my llif easier. 

0 Likes
keenanmmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

your house is most likely wired with copper cable, so i think that your internet and phone connections are still subjected to the faults of copper wire, even though there is a fios connection going to the house. You're still subject to those same interferences fios or dsl.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@keenanmmc wrote:

your house is most likely wired with copper cable, so i think that your internet and phone connections are still subjected to the faults of copper wire, even though there is a fios connection going to the house. You're still subject to those same interferences fios or dsl.

But unlike DSL, the same services within your house are not over the same wires.  So the interference that caused DSL filters to be needed does not exist.  In fact even if the wires are close together what they carry is so different there is no likelihood that your internet will interfere with your phone service.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns_2 wrote:

@keenanmmc wrote:

But unlike DSL, the same services within your house are not over the same wires.  So the interference that caused DSL filters to be needed does not exist.  In fact even if the wires are close together what they carry is so different there is no likelihood that your internet will interfere with your phone service.

Wouldn't the exception here be if the user has a VDSL-based FiOS connection? That would require filters if Verizon didn't wire up a dedicated jack upon connecting the service. That is unless the modem has an internal filtered jack that allows for phone output. Just something to consider.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, I would guess filters needed for MDU service that uses VDSL.  Although I think I think in that case the TV and phone service are delivered separately to appartments in that config, but internet is delivered over the phone line.

0 Likes