Fios Digital Voice website
Broughton1

As a ploy to help screen out calls and send them to voicemail without immediate attention the Verizon Digital Voice website offers this option:

"Voice Mail Screening

Missed the call but want to hear the message while it’s being left? No problem – activate this service & each caller leaving a message will ring your phone. When you pick up you’ll be able to listen to the message while it’s being left and even be connected to the caller if you’d like."

However, rather than "No problem," there is a problem that negates any value of this option. On every incoming call one's phone will ring and will CONTINUE TO RING non-stop until the caller ends his/her call after completing any message.  Thus one can suffer through the continuous ringing of one's phone for however long the called chooses to remain on the line, --e.g., 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.  So much fror a quiet life.  The obvious solution is to perhaps more intelligently to reprogram this option so that the phone rings a user-selected limited number of rings from 0 to whatever.

There are other options, such as call blocking, but that Draconian measure throws ot the baby with the bathwater. In effect one's phone is good for only for receiving a maximum of 10 selected incoming numbers.  Again this offers little value.

Any comments from Verizon would be welcome. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios Digital Voice website
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Consider using nomorobo service ( http;//www.nomorobo.com ).  It works with FDV.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Digital Voice website
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Broughton wrote:

As a ploy to help screen out calls and send them to voicemail without immediate attention the Verizon Digital Voice website offers this option:

"Voice Mail Screening

Missed the call but want to hear the message while it’s being left? No problem – activate this service & each caller leaving a message will ring your phone. When you pick up you’ll be able to listen to the message while it’s being left and even be connected to the caller if you’d like."

However, rather than "No problem," there is a problem that negates any value of this option. On every incoming call one's phone will ring and will CONTINUE TO RING non-stop until the caller ends his/her call after completing any message.  Thus one can suffer through the continuous ringing of one's phone for however long the called chooses to remain on the line, --e.g., 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.  So much fror a quiet life.  The obvious solution is to perhaps more intelligently to reprogram this option so that the phone rings a user-selected limited number of rings from 0 to whatever.

There are other options, such as call blocking, but that Draconian measure throws ot the baby with the bathwater. In effect one's phone is good for only for receiving a maximum of 10 selected incoming numbers.  Again this offers little value.

Any comments from Verizon would be welcome. 

The "continue to ring" is not my experience.  With this option enabled, when the call goes to voicemail (per the number of rings I've set) then the phone rings again, but the call is from voicemail.  When I answer it the ringing stops and I can hear the message.  It sounds like you are not picking up the call-back to it continues to ring.  I think you're trying to use this feature for something that it was not meant for.  But I also agree with you that blocking for only up to 10 calls is lame in today's world where the telemarketers like to break the law left and right.  And, by the way, if you enable call blocking you lose the ability to get email notifications for calls and voicemails.  That's lame too.

0 Likes