Fios phone line for dial-up?
OlympicBongster
I had Fios phone, internet and TV installed recently and I bought a new computer w/Vista.  So far we are more than pleased with the service.  Smiley Happy  I was previously using dial-up and I still have active accounts with Earthlink and NetZero.  Although it may seem highly illogical, I asked the Verizon installer if I could use the Fios line for dial-up and he seemed to think so.  To see if it still worked, I tried dialing up with my old computer and I got an error message indicating a problem with the modem not being installed or otherwise not working.  Other than this, the phone works as it did before.  Why would switching to Fios cause me to lose my ability to use dial-up? 
0 Likes
Re: Fios phone line for dial-up?
dcm0123

I am in the same situation and would like to know the answer. I try to connect to NetZero and my modem keeps returning a no dial tone error message. I have Verizon Fios with phone, TV and high speed internet.

When I pick up the phone reciever, I hear about 10 beeps prior to a constant dial tone.

I can listen to the modem dialing out through the speaker jack on the modem. After these beeps, the connection is dropped and I recive the error message stating no dial tone. I tried 2 different hardware modems without any luck.

If I pick up the phone and then after I hear the beeps, I try to connect to the internet, then it does dial the ISP and tries to establish a conection.

How do I disable the beeps or work around it?

While I have FIOS high speed cable internet, sometimes I need to use dialup on the road so I need to be able to set up my computer to do this. 

keywords, dialup dial up dial-up problem modem fios

0 Likes
Re: Fios phone line for dial-up?
OlympicBongster

My modem does not dial out and I am not getting a dial tone error message - it appears that the modem is not functioning at all.

Not sure what the beeps are, I do not get any beeps unless there is voice mail.

Maybe the Fios line simply does not support dial-up for internet.

0 Likes
Re: Fios phone line for dialup?
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

The beeps mean you have messages.  I think there is way to tell the modem to either wait longer for dial tone or to not wait for a dial tone. 

The easier way is if you could tell netzero not to dial the phone at all and use your existing internet connection.  I used to do this with AOL for a lot of people.  Netzero should actually encourage this because it gets you off of there expensive phone lines.

0 Likes
Re: Fios phone line for dialup?
dcm0123

Called Verizon tonight who told me how to recieve and delete messages. Once this was done the beeping when I picked up the phone stopped and the modem worked on Fios phone line as the representative said it would.

If you are still having problems try going in through control panel, click in you modem and select the command to run dignostics or communicate with the modem. If the computer can not communicate with the modem, the problem is between the computer and modem, nothing to do with the phone company or ISP.

I personally prefer what used to be called "hardware" modems because they have thier own processors and are easier to set up than the "software" modems. I have not used a modem for about 6 years but someone asked me to set up thier computer for them.

I believe the US Robotics "Pro" modem is an example of a "hardware" modem.

U.S. Robotics USR5610C 56Kbps PCI Bus (Plug & Play) V.92 Performance Pro Modem

0 Likes