Re: Getting Bombarded by Telemarketers and Toll-Free Numbers
MikeB13

I also was having trouble with getting constant telemarketers and bill collectors looking for someone else, obviously the previous owner of my landline phone number. I delt with getting 10-12 bogus phone calls a day for years, finally I just broke down and spent the $99 on the Digitone. I love it!! Now I only hear from people I want to hear from and all the other numbers still call, but I never hear my phone ring as they are hung up on immediately. I have family members that have been using the Digitone device for years trouble free. I hope the scum bag people that keep calling me will get the Idea and get sick of constantly getting blocked and eventually stop calling me. I'm not going to hold breath though.

0 Likes
El-Flippo

Block 10 additional numbers using Verizon's "Selective Call Forwarding" Option. I am forwarding some *bleep* to a Texas tv station's "Breaking News" fax machine. 10 other number's I simply Block...so that's 20. I had issues similar to the OP's. With Comcast, then FIOS, at my previous residence there was heavenly peace with our unpublished phone. However the VERY FIRST DAY WE MOVED WE RECEIVED 2 TELEMARKETING CALLS!!...even though we carried over the same number, and also finalized our move with Verizon 2 WEEKS EARLIER. It never stopped. I complained after a month. Customer Service attempted to cover its *bleep*...first telling me I was actually listed, then reversing itself. I think CS corrected my status on the spot without admitting their Error. At least Tech Support conceded that there may have been a "gap in Service". Only reason I continue to pay for an "Unlisted" # is that I fear even MORE calls if I opt out. The Block and Selective Forwarding Options have resulted in significantly less calls, and also less repeat calls. Many days there are no calls for up to 5 days straight. But so many new bogus #'s pop up that I frequently juggle my Block/Forward Lists. And for the last 3 weeks, it's been a splattering of 800, 855, & 877 calls. So I add them to the list, and remove older #'s. The technology exists to block these numbers easily. Phone Companies could increase revenue by adding LEGITIMATE Call Blocking features and charging for them. People would PAY! Hell, The Internet operates through the same lines as the phone monopolies, and the outdated Outlook Express could delete unspoofed Spam at the Server so you'd never see it. A previous poster was correct in regards to the Brotherhood Of Businessmen who'd rather circle the wagons than snitch.

0 Likes
evelynsalt

i know just how irritating these unwelcome callers are. but they've found a way to get through DNC rules somehow, so you'd have to deal with them. 

i suggest you report these numbers to your telephone company. they can help you block specific numbers in their system so you wont be receiving such calls anymore. or better yet, you can make these nuisance stop calling you everyday. i got these tips from this link http://www.callercenter.com/articles/14waystoannoytelemarketers.html. that should help. :3

0 Likes
evelynsalt

and by the way, after i did the tips, i've been getting lesser calls every days. hahaha! looks like they're getting me off their list on their own free will. now, that's what i call PRICELESS..

0 Likes
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

We were getting bombarded with Unavailable calls and there isn't any number that I can use to block, forward or report, so when anyone is upstairs they just press the fax button on our All In One Printer and it seems to have worked for now.  I couldn't come up with any other solution, Verizon and the DNC List offer zero help, yet I thought every call is supposed to provide a number, unless blocked and then comes through as Private or Blocked. 

I have answered some of them in the past, most being surveys, but one claims to be The Red Cross wanting me to donate blood, something I have done in the past, but won't anymore since they call constantly and harass us.  But anyway, I spoke with a woman and I said flat out, "I am not speaking with The Red Cross, the callerID says Unavailable, so I don't believe you, you are a scammer."  They try and prove who they are, but I refuse to talk with them unless they provide a number.  Doesn't matter now, all calls that don't provide a number get the fax machine, unless my wife is home alone of course, it seems she can't just let a phone ring without answering, must be in her DNA.

0 Likes
itwasntme
PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU WERE FINALLY ABLE TO GET YOUR COMPLAINT SETTLED? I'VE BEEN GETTING 888 NUMBERS EVERY DAY ABOUT 10 TIMES AND IF I ANSWER THEY SAY NOTHING AND I HEAR THE DIAL TONE..I'M SO FRUSTRATED I FEEL LIKE THROWING THE PHONE AWAY..
0 Likes
mikeandgayle1

We feel the same way...ready to throw the phone out!  We never had any of these calls when we had wired service, but once we switched to FIOS voice, the calls started, and now we get up to 15 a day...all 800/888 type numbers with fake IDs and robot callers...always different numbers so call block won't work.  As noted earlier, filing a complaint for Do Not Call violation is a waste of time - I've been filing these complaints since this started, and the calls are getting worse.  Verizon - you need to address this or you'll be losing phone customers!

0 Likes
Re: Getting calls from a phone number that is not in service
jfl212

I am receiving numerous calls from {edited for privacy} When I or other family members answered this call there was silence on the other end every time. I called this number and received a recording that started with three tones and said "the number you dialed is not in service". How can this be??????????  How can I receive a call from a number that is not in service? Who does this number belong to?

0 Likes
Re: Getting calls from a phone number that is not in service
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jfl212 wrote:

I am receiving numerous calls from {edited for privacy} When I or other family members answered this call there was silence on the other end every time. I called this number and received a recording that started with three tones and said "the number you dialed is not in service". How can this be??????????  How can I receive a call from a number that is not in service? Who does this number belong to?

The caller is spoofing the caller ID information, and it is using an invalid number.  This is illegal, but there isn't much you can do about it.  

0 Likes