Handset Recommendation?
tombon22

Can anyone recommend a handset to use with Digital Voice? 

I tried to get a recommendation from the local Verizon FiOS retail store and they had absolutely no ideas.  And they didn’t sell Verizon handsets and had no idea where I could buy one.

Finally I purchased a Verizon  V100-2.  Perhaps this was a little naive of me, but I thought that if I purchased exactly the device that Verizon shows in their advertisements, the service and the phone would complement one another.  But there is no synergy between them.

I must enter my contacts on the Verizon FiOS web site.  And then I must enter them again on my handset.

There isn’t even a little red light to tell me when I have a new voice mail.

Any suggestions?

-Tom

0 Likes
Re: Handset Recommendation?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I don't have Verizon Digital Voice but use another VOIP provider.  You can use any standard phone you wish with the service, there is no difference which provider you have, a phone is a phone

Your best bet is to go to your local store and see which phone has the features you want/need/like.  Personally I like the Panasonic Cordless phone we have.  Its a four station phone with answering machine, talking caller ID, etc.  I plug the phone into one location and then place the 3 remaining cordless bases around the house.  You enter your address book into one phone and all the phones have access to it.   But this is just me.  

Hope this helps

Jim

0 Likes
tombon22

Jim,

I don’t have an answering machine.  I am using Verizon’s voice mail, which is quite nice.  But I would like to see a little red light when there are new messages.

On page 12 of Verizon’s FiOS Digital Voice User Guide, it says “Look for the message waiting light if one is provided on your handset.”

Will the Panasonic phone accommodate this?  Will others?

-Tom

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The Panasonic phone that I have will blink when a voice mail is left on my current VOIP provider VM.  

Does the VZ service have a broken dial tone to indicate a voice message was left?  I believe that is what triggers the VM blinking light.

0 Likes
tombon22

The Verizon service does have a broken dial tone.

It sounds like the Panasonic should work for me.

Thanks Jim.

0 Likes
tombon22

Jim,

So I took your suggestion (finally) and I couldn't be more pleased.  The Panosonic has every feature that I could ask for and the price was modest.  And the voice mail light does indeed blink.

Thanks Jim.

-Tom

0 Likes