Help Adding a Second Landline
Testostebro
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need some assistance. I currently have Fios TV, internet, and phone service at my home. I need to add a second phone number for work purposes. Luckily, where I'm putting the phone for the new number is right next to the ONT box in my basement. This is where I have some questions.

My ONT box is a Motorola ONT1000JI (I have had no luck finding information on this model online). I'll post up photos later today.

Inside the customer access point of the ONT is a section for phone connections. It has four RJ11 connections labeled Test 1-4. From what I've read these are indeed for testing purposes to connect a phone directly to see if there's a problem with internal house wiring, but are not meant for standard use. Below these Test connections, are four terminals numbered 1-4 for a standard dual-wire (sorry if this is the wrong term) phone connection. The 1 terminal has a wire connected for the current house phone, which then splits to the different phone jacks in the house.

Because of the close proximity to the box, is it possible to simply just connect a wire from the 2 terminal to my phone, and then call Verizon to have them activate the second number?

Thanks for any and all help.

~Joe

0 Likes
Re: Help Adding a Second Landline
Testostebro
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

Update: Verizon activated my second phone line today. Here's a picture of my customer portion of my ONT box. Wiring directly from Test 2 to the phone allowed me to make a phone call out from that second line, so it seems to be working. However, wiring from the Line 2 terminal to the phone isn't providing a dial tone. May be a bad cable. We'll see what happens.

0 Likes
Trouble with Second Line Direct ONT connection
Testostebro
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've got an ONT1000JI box. Verizon activated a second line for me, but I'm having some trouble. The placement of my phone for my second line is in the basement near the box, so I have a direct connection. Here's a picture of my box.

I'm usinge two 12-foot standard RJ-11 cables (station wire). When I connect the phone to the Test 2 slot, the POTS light comes on and I can use the phone like normal. For the second cable I clipped the RJ-11 connector off one end and stripped the jacket off to expose the black, green, red, and yellow wires. It's probably hard to see with each picture, but above each terminal 1-4 has T on the left and R on the right (tip and ring). I've placed the green and red wires (the first pair) inside the T and R, respectively, and the other end (RJ-11) directly into the phone. Nothing happens. No lights change from the above picture, no dial tone.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you.

~Joe

0 Likes