Help Running New phone jacks
mprivitera

I was a Fios customer but sold my house and purchased a new one. We are currently renovating and the current house only had 2 phone jacks that they ripped out during work. I am going to be going back to Fios and I was curious to how I should run my new phone jacks? Should all of them still run to the old phone line coming into the house?  What will I need in the room that I want my FIOS modem ? Thank you for any help you can lend.

0 Likes
Re: Help Running New phone jacks
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

mprivitera wrote:
... the current house only had 2 phone jacks that they ripped out during work. I am going to be going back to Fios and I was curious to how I should run my new phone jacks? Should all of them still run to the old phone line coming into the house?  What will I need in the room that I want my FIOS modem ? ...

You can run the phone cabling (either Cat 3 or better yet, Cat 5e) to a single location, and then use a junction to connect to the FiOS phone provider (i.e., ONT or Optical Network Terminal).  Assuming you are using FiOS Digital Voice, you then run a phone-type cable from the ONT to this junction.

Sometimes this is done on the exterior of the building, and sometimes elsewhere.  If you provide additional details on your specific setup, then maybe we can provide further suggestions.

0 Likes
mprivitera

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@mprivitera wrote:
... the current house only had 2 phone jacks that they ripped out during work. I am going to be going back to Fios and I was curious to how I should run my new phone jacks? Should all of them still run to the old phone line coming into the house?  What will I need in the room that I want my FIOS modem ? ...

You can run the phone cabling (either Cat 3 or better yet, Cat 5e) to a single location, and then use a junction to connect to the FiOS phone provider (i.e., ONT or Optical Network Terminal).  Assuming you are using FiOS Digital Voice, you then run a phone-type cable from the ONT to this junction.

Sometimes this is done on the exterior of the building, and sometimes elsewhere.  If you provide additional details on your specific setup, then maybe we can provide further suggestions.

The current owner had Fios and it seemed that fios may have ran a homerun to the modem, but can't be sure anymore since its been all taken apart.  I can follow the outside phone line into the house and it seems to go to a junction. Off the junction is a bunch of wire splits one going to each of the old jacks and one to the alarm. However there is only one wire running into the verizon box in the basement. If i go with Digital voice can I run the wires to the houses exciting incoming phone junction? Or am I better off wiring the jacks and having them coiled in the basement until I have the Fios tech come?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@mmprivitera wrote:

... it seemed that fios may have ran a homerun to the modem, but can't be sure anymore since its been all taken apart ...  

There is no "modem" with FiOS.  What exactly are you referring to?  Do you mean the "ONT" (Optical Network Terminal)?  If you don't know what this is, try "Google."

@mprivitera wrote:

...  am I better off wiring the jacks and having them coiled in the basement until I have the Fios tech come? 

Based on your description (which frankly I find confusing), this seems like the best option.

0 Likes
mprivitera
@armond_in_nj wrote:

@mmprivitera wrote:

... it seemed that fios may have ran a homerun to the modem, but can't be sure anymore since its been all taken apart ...  

There is no "modem" with FiOS.  What exactly are you referring to?  Do you mean the "ONT" (Optical Network Terminal)?  If you don't know what this is, try "Google."

Sorry I ment router. Does FIOS use the existing phone lines and jacks in the house. If so I'll just run new lines to the exisiting phone junction coming into the basement.

0 Likes
Please Explain Current Wiring Clearly
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@mprivitera wrote:
Does FIOS use the existing phone lines and jacks in the house. If so I'll just run new lines to the exisiting phone junction coming into the basement.

FiOS wiring does not rely on a specific "standard" layout.   Essentially the ONT extracts information and signals from the incoming fiber cable, and then outputs Internet, TV, and phone to whatever cabling is available or newly installed.   There is an unlimited number of wiring possibilities.

However I am still not following your question.  You asked:

"Does FIOS use the existing phone lines and jacks in the house. If so I'll just run new lines to the exisiting phone junction coming into the basement."

@Elsewhere you wrote:

" ... the current house only had 2 phone jacks that they ripped out during work. I am going to be going back to Fios and I was curious to how I should run my new phone jacks? ... "

How can you use the existing wiring, after telling us that all of the existing wiring has been removed?  Please elaborate.

0 Likes