Help for those who want transcribed versions of their voicemail sent to them by email or text
radman2020
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't see instructions for this anywhere on the web although I saw the question asked many times.  Hope this helps everyong!

Comcast has voice transcription of voicemails.  Google voice has it too.  the transcriptions are fairly innacurate but enough that you don't have to call and listen in. 

so how do you do it with Verizon Fios?  They make it hard but it is possible.  You need to conditionally forward to google voice.  Verizon has conditional forwarding (forwarding of calls to another number when you don't answer...instead of it going to verizon voicemail).  Verizon incredibly doesn't publish all their * commands.  The important one here is *92.   If you dial *92 and enter the forwarding number you are set.

But first.  Get a google account with gmail.  Go to google voice and set it up.  You will be given a phone number.  That is the number to set up in the verizon call forwarding.  Make sure that the Google voice has the settings checked to transcribe the voicemails and send them to you by text or email.  You can record your greeting.  It is totally seemless.

When you get a transcribed email, it also has the voicemail file so you can listen if you want.   you can get an app on your cellphone to listen... but I use that for my google voice cellphone voicemail transcriptions!!  That was much easier to setup...  You just get the google voice app and follow instructions.

BTW, *92 shuts off the forwarding.  *72 forwards everything, not just busy/non answered calls. 

Good luck. 

and Verizon, PLEASE POST A LIST OF ALL THE  * COMMANDS!!!

0 Likes
Re: Help for those who want transcribed versions of their voicemail sent to them by email or text
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have not seen this as an option on VZ voicemail.  I did have this on Vonage.  On VZ mail (like I recd on Vonage)  I do get a copy of the voice mail in my email in wav format so I can listen to message from the caller and not have to worry about calling into the voice mail.  My Iphone plays the message fine!!

Jim

0 Likes
Re: Help for those who want transcribed versions of their voicemail sent to them by email or text
radman2020
Enthusiast - Level 2

sorry..  *93 shuts off conditional call forwarding.  *92 turns it on.  Verizon offers visual voicemail where the sound file comes to your computer (and mobile I believe). But this is not the same as a transcribed version.  They aren't very accurate but usually are good enough to avoid listening.  Comcast has it.  Google voice has it.

0 Likes
rubm

Thank you very much for this info.  We are former Vonage users and have become very comfortable with their transcribed voice messages sent to us via email.  Hope we can set up something similar using Google phone, as suggested.  Thanks.

0 Likes