Help installing a home phone line
phoneitin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. I purchased home phone (land line) service through Fios. I haven't been getting any dial tone.

I called Verizon Support and they said they can send a technician out. They said if it's a Verizon problem, they'll address it free of charge. But if it's a wiring issue on my end, they will charge $99. So, it seems like I have to take a $99 gamble just to see if it's something I could've fixed. Here's a photo of what my ONT looks like (below).

It seems like there should be something plugged into one of the two telephone line plugs. Can anyone offer some guidance? Thanks a bunch.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help installing a home phone line
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, there should be wiring to connect to your house phone wiring.

If you have a old style phone, plug it in to one of the phone ports.

See if you get dial tone from there.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, there should be wiring to connect to your house phone wiring.

If you have a old style phone, plug it in to one of the phone ports.

See if you get dial tone from there.

phoneitin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the response! Would you say that is a Verizon issue that they'll fix free of charge? Or is *my* issue that will warrant a $99 fee!?!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The primary issue is “are their phone jacks in your home”? And if so has verizon previously used those lines for phone service?

now if you have a network interface device on the outside of your home (NID) you can test the line from your home on the telephone side. Now you plug in your phone and then listen for a dial tone. If you have one from the NID then service up to your home is ok.

now if you have telephone jacks into your home walls or baseboard and you plug a phone in and hear no dial tone then it’s a problem with your inside wiring. However if you have fios digital phone it is possible the Verizon installer never hooked your line up properly. Again a test is hook a phone into one of the phone connectors and again see if their is a dial tone.

if their is you again know it’s your inside wiring. Please note if verizon came originally to install digital phone they should have tested it prior to leaving and if they didn’t then it’s a verizon issue. Document everything!

phoneitin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. Yes there are phone jacks in the home.

But I have no idea if Verizon previously used them, or if another company did,

Verizon equipment was already installed in my home when I moved here. I've never been visited by a Verizon tech person. The Internet worked without issue when I purchased services.

I get no dial tone when plugging into the NID. But I *do* get a dial tone when I plug the phone directly into one of the Verizon phone ports on the ODT.

It is regular phone service, not digital phone service.

jonjones1
Legend

If you get dial tone from the ont then the issue is lines in the home.

however like I stated previously when you get the fios home telephone the tech must test everything to insure it’s functional. Let verizon send a tech back to hook it up properly.

petercoffin80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are DSL and Modem wires connected perfectly? Try to unplug and then plug it back.