Home phone absolutely useless, FIOS, FIX THIS!
SteelerNation
Enthusiast - Level 3

I get between 2-5 robo calls per day. I work from home so this is absolutely infuriating. I've disconnected all home phones and have no plans to reconnect them. I'm now paying for a service, and paying tax on a service which I do not use, and cannot even see myself using. 

What feels infuriating, however, is that there seems to be almost nothing being done to curb these calls.  Where is shaken/stirr where is call authentication and verification that was promised? 

I have my service set to send voice mails to my inbox, and it's the same stinking message each time "you can save on your electric bill"...  

FIOS, PLEASE ---- WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THIS?

When will Shaken/stirr be implemented? 

When can I reconnect my home phone again?

0 Likes
Re: Home phone absolutely useless, FIOS, FIX THIS!
ramsey76
Contributor - Level 1

We have the same issue.   Many calls per day from fake electric companies

We shut off ringer and turned off voice mail

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have FiOS Digital Voice, sign up for NoMoRobo (it is free).

You still hear one ring, but certainly makes it easier to ignore them.
Wait for the second ring.

If it doesn't happen, robocall.

I have had it for probably 2 years and love it.
Shaken/Stir will require a number of providers to implement before it is useful.

The one who origianlly takes the call has to tag it.

0 Likes
ramsey76
Contributor - Level 1

Nomorobo does work when legit telephone numbers are spoofed.

I am getting calls that appear to be from my neighbors, town offices, and legit business  

0 Likes
SteelerNation
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nomorobo Is Useless. I signed up with that year's ago.  Still active. But it does nothing to stop today's spam calls. Checked numerous Times,  set up correctly.  No help at all...

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It doesn't do as well with local spoofed calls. They are not used often or wide enough to be caught by their algorithms.

But I would say it blocks at least half to 2/3s of the spam calls I get.

Maybe try contacting them to verify.

Have you tested your phone from their website to make sure everything is working properly?

0 Likes
Nomorobo is the best! Makes Verizon useable, modems not included.
JerryTech1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nomorobo is the best! I got it on day 1. It took 14 spam calls a day down to 3 a week max. I thank the universe for this godsend every time I hear the single ring & remain in the shower. It took a few weeks of training by reporting all the numbers that got through, but now there is peace. If only it was free for my cell it would probably compliment YouMail's disconnected # tone played to spammers, which is my solution on the mobile. The DNC list is a scam to connect your numbers, FTC/FCC dont care. Nomorobo is the working model of that dream, automated, with added crowd sourced intelligence. Although it would be nice if the robot users weren't financing the Telcoms.

0 Likes
fastKitty

I know it's of no consequence but I get up to 15 spoofed calls some days.  Putting anonymous call reject was the only thing that eventually brought it down to single digits.

All the things that VZ tells me to do to stop don't work when they are spoofed calls.   I have nomorobo (it might catch 1 or 2 a day), I have anonymous call block on, I have a private call list that I put phone numbers when I repeatedly see them use.   Of course I am also registered on the "do not call list" which is worthless when someone doesn't care about breaking the law.

I report bad phone numbers to the VZ spam reporting site:

https://voicespamfeedback.com/vsf/

and also report them to nomorobo when they don't catch them which is most since they are mostly local phone number spoofs.   I actually saw my own phone number on the CID once.

Most of the locally spoofed numbers (first 6 digits the same as mine) are not even in service.  I also get invalid phone numbers (1st digit after the area code being 0 or 1).    All get through.  If VZ marks one call a day as SPAM? a day I also consider that a success for them.

Generally they all are "lower your credit card interest rate" scams, "you won a free vacation", "medicare scams", or "illegal credit card perchase scams".  And most are likely overseas call centers.

I've complained directly to VZ chat (found out they can't escalate issues) and called VZ directly.   They've connected me to various support numbers and generally told me "VZ doesn't block numbers, buy a call blocking device or add them to your personal block list".   I told them if I add them to my personal block list, the 300 or so they now give you will be full in about a month because they all are spoofs.  Sometimes they are repeats and I do block those but those are a rarity.   Basically they've told me that I'm on my own and buy more stuff for me to try to fix it.

When I go to search VZ for the "stir/shaken" initiatives, they claim they have implemented it.   I can't see how, if anything, my experience is that robocalls have gotten worse, if you can believe that, since 7/1/21 when they were supposed to have by law implemented this.   I can't get anyone to actually tell me they really have implemented it as a blocking mechanism.   They seem to say "oh, those go into or detection algorigthm."  When I ask about the reporting web site, most support people don't even know what I'm talking about.   And if they do, they say that reporting just goes into their algorithm also.   Suprisingly I've seen number that used to be reported as SPAM? no longer are on subsequent calls that I then have to add to my personal block list.

As I said, it doesn't take much to actually detect an invalid/illegal phone number but those get through.  And they clearly aren't checking that the CID matches where the call actually comes through or all these "not in service" numbers wouldn't also still ring.

I find my home phone more that useless as the original poster complained about.  And it's only getting worse.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes