Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

How do I take ownership of my phone number

GoodBYEJoe
Contributor
Contributor

How do I take ownership of my phone number

Message 1 of 5
(3,311 Views)

Well I just paid my last Verizon bill....they should get my check in a few days.

But before I cancel completely I want to make sure that I can take my Phone number with me where ever I go.   I have had it for 45 years.   

They just raised my monthly rate,  because I am out of my contract...thank goodness

I called them to try and get a better price but they do not care about current customers....only trying to give big discounts and GIFT card to NEW people.    

Well maybe in 2 or 3 years I might come back and get a discount as a new customer.    I am so fed up with the rat race that I really do not want to deal with any cable companies.     I may go with the other company BigC  but they play games with pricing too....But They will be Cheaper Than Verizon.

I was told by Verizon that only the other cable company can port my number.   What if I want to take a break from cable and just get Internet.  Maybe I will get a MagicJack ( but even those customers complain of quality)    

HOW DO I TAKE OWNERSHIP OF MY PHONE NUMBER.    So I can choose what company I will deal with and not be tied to Verizon....   If I have to I will probably go with the BigC Since Verizon does not want me as a customer anymore........

GoodBYE Joe

4 REPLIES 4
ZandorRI
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: How do I take ownership of my phone number

Message 2 of 5
(3,298 Views)

Port your number to a cell phone. Search on line about porting your home number to a cell phone. Good luck

joetech
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(3,273 Views)

Go to store and buy magicjack,  cost $36 a year.  You can port your old number for $10.  Only problem you need internet to use it.  Either plugged into the wall or into a computer USB port. 

gs0b
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 5
(3,263 Views)

Technically, none of us own our numbers.

That said, number portability does make it easier to keep a number.  Know that if you port your number to a VoIP provider, cell phone or competitive local carrier, do NOT call Verizon until the port is done.  A pending cancellation order will interfere with the port.  If your old account is closed before the port happens, the number will be gone for good.

If you have a port in progress and it isn't going the way you think it should, the FCC has a complaint form you can fill out that will require a response from both parties.   Google should be able to find it.  Know that it can takes weeks for a response.

Good Luck.

GoodBYEJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(3,235 Views)

Thanks to everyone for your replies

I hoped that I could take my number and decide what to do after I get rid of verizon.

But as the last post mentioned, I am now aware that I must go with another company before leaving verizon.

I may just go with the internet option.   

You might get 200+ channels with cable but some days you can not find anything decent to watch  and it seems like every other channel is an info commercial......

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title