How to Stop Call Spoofing
Nowaryn

I have folks that use an iPhone app that changes the id of the caller to anything that they want it to. So the call comes in as JCPeny or even numbers of my other friends.

How do i stop this from happening. It is very annoying

0 Likes
Re: How to Stop Call Spoofing
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately, outside of paying a service to trace the calls to the source, there is no resolution for that app currently. Compared to current technology, the caller ID system is not smart, it just displays what it's told to display. If you know which calls are the ones being spoofed you can call our unlawful call center and see if they can do anything to block the calls on there end.

West: 800-257-2969 East: 800-518-5507

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You're probably wondering "Hey, isn't this stuff illegal?" Well, it is. As of June of last year, Congress passed H.R 5126, a legislation to make it a crime to insert false information into the Caller ID system. And yes, even VoIP is covered in this legislation.

I don't know how you would pursue anything like that, other than the numbers provided earlier in that thread.

ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

You're probably wondering "Hey, isn't this stuff illegal?" Well, it is. As of June of last year, Congress passed H.R 5126, a legislation to make it a crime to insert false information into the Caller ID system. And yes, even VoIP is covered in this legislation.

I don't know how you would pursue anything like that, other than the numbers provided earlier in that thread.

The site you link to in the above post shows that bill only passed the House, but not the Senate, and it happened in 2006. The site showed no other comparable bill being enacted.

0 Likes