How to connect new landline to existing OTN
ONTI-211M-L
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have a Verizon OTN installed, model is I-211M-L.  See pic attached (not my actual unit, but is pretty much identical).

How do I connect a standard landline phone to it?  i am guessing i have to insert my new phone wire (2-wire) into one of the available ports seen in the lower right portion of the pic.  There seem to be 8 of them.  Two of them are occupied (i think) by the white RJ-11 cables that come out of the bottom of the OTN (the way the OTN is oriented in the pic makes the RJ-11 cables look like they're coming out of the right side of it).  These ports are either labeled LINE 1 and color-coded RED/GRN or LINE 2 and BLK/YEL.  Furthermore, the LINE 1 ports have a green "T" and a red "R" and the LINE 2 ports have a black "T" and a yellow "R", i assume signifying Transfer and Receive?

Can anyone help?

UPDATE:

Forgot to mention - I do have voice service via Verizon, i.e. a phone number has been assigned, etc.  I believe nobody has ever tried to use the landlone before now, and it's up to me to add a phone.

0 Likes
Re: How to connect new landline to existing OTN
jonjones1
Legend

In the old days of copper hooking a phone was easy since the Network interface device was located either in the basement or on your building wall. With fiber optics the phone is much more complex. I would call verizon 1-800-VERIZON and have them install it and then you know it was done right.

if verizon service included phone service the service would have been active prior to the installer leaving. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connect your wire to one of the four red/green connectors. The white/blue wire goes to green and solid blue goes to red. 

ONTI-211M-L
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Edg1,

Thanks.  I had an extra 4-wire phone cord laying around that has the old BLK-RED-GRN-YEL wires.  I snipped the RJ-11 off of one end, and plugged the Red wire into R and the Green wire into T.   I plugged the other end of the line into my cordless VTECH (CS6929-3) base.  It worked - I can now make outbound calls and talk.

However, I cannot receive inbound calls on this line!  It just rings once, then beeps, then goes to dead air.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ONTI-211M-L wrote:

@Edg1,

Thanks.  I had an extra 4-wire phone cord laying around that has the old BLK-RED-GRN-YEL wires.  I snipped the RJ-11 off of one end, and plugged the Red wire into R and the Green wire into T.   I plugged the other end of the line into my cordless VTECH (CS6929-3) base.  It worked - I can now make outbound calls and talk.

However, I cannot receive inbound calls on this line!  It just rings once, then beeps, then goes to dead air.  Any ideas?

That usually indicates that there is a slight short on the line. Unplug the RJ11 from the phone and see if there is any greenish color on the pins. If so, that is probably what is causing the short. If not, then it could be the wire itself. Best way to check is to take the phone to the ONT and plug it in directly with a different phone cord. 

Another thing I noticed from your picture that there is a blue/white pair connected to the phone block in the ONT. Disconnect that as well, wherever that is connected to could also be the cause. 

ONTI-211M-L
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a Verizon tech come out to look at it.  Turns out that there was an alarm system also plugged into Line 1 and that was intercepting inbound calls. 

So my choices are to either have the alarm company do something to fix this or have Verizon install a second line.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Edg1!