How to stop repeated phone calls from spoofed local numbers
j-p1
Enthusiast - Level 2

An alternative electrical supplier has been calling me since yesterday, saying I've failed to "renew" my electrical supplier and that I must tell them my account number so that they can switch me to someone else. The twist is that they claim they're from my local electric company, but I've called PECO and they say they don't do business like this.

The guy won't take no for an answer, and took offense when I initially hung up on him. So far, he has called back 55 times, from a variety of spoofed local numbers. As soon as I block the number, he calls from another one.

Verizon tech support says they can't help, offering that I should check that I'm still on the FTC's "do not call" list.

Is there anything I can do?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to stop repeated phone calls from spoofed local numbers
jonjones1
Legend

Call the police and file telephone harassment charges.

if you can find the correct company this jerk is actually calling from then have the police go after them.

verizon offers number blocking on their home and wireless lines. You might look into nomorerobo to stop these calls.

verizon and other companies must have this type of calling stopped by 2020 under federal mandate. I have read verizon has implemented a feature that tells you if the number is legitimate or not. It shows spam if it can not verify the caller.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Call the police and file telephone harassment charges.

if you can find the correct company this jerk is actually calling from then have the police go after them.

verizon offers number blocking on their home and wireless lines. You might look into nomorerobo to stop these calls.

verizon and other companies must have this type of calling stopped by 2020 under federal mandate. I have read verizon has implemented a feature that tells you if the number is legitimate or not. It shows spam if it can not verify the caller.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check here for details:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Its not really a criminal complaint.

You just need to keep them on the phone long enough to get the name of the company.

As you have noted, they keep changing their number.

It does two things, makes you think it is someone you might know and helps evade call blockers.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Check here for details:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Its not really a criminal complaint.

You just need to keep them on the phone long enough to get the name of the company.

As you have noted, they keep changing their number.

It does two things, makes you think it is someone you might know and helps evade call blockers.

Calling 55 times is telephone harassment. It is a crime. The phone company use to have a short code like #150 and it sent the information to verizon security. The other kicker was the customer had to file a police report and get the incident number.

0 Likes
Lenape8

Calling and logging complaints with FCC seems useless you would think by now Verizon could stop these **bleep** for spoofing and robo calling after all don't they control the your system???? I get tyhe same crap every day same callers claiming something trying to block them is useless and when you can connect the number is bad. 

GOOD luck maybe one day I will cut the cord! 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.webpronews.com/fcc-cracks-down-on-robocalls-enlists-telcos-to-help/

new regulations will make the telephone companies responsible to combat it. At present on apple iPhones and with Verizon known spam callers are silenced and sent to voice mail. I can assure you it works.

there maybe a variant for android devices. The one from Verizon is free but it has a paid version which I would not bother with, since they will be required to clean up these spam callers now totally free.

0 Likes