I am trying to find a few things out here...
TigersRule
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, so I am getting my soffits and facia of my house wrapped in vinyl. I got Verizon FIOS TV/Digital Voice phone/Internet about 8 months ago, and I had the Install Tech cut down all the old phone and coax from the poles and disconnect them from the house. I also had them remove a few old phone junction boxes from so many homeowners in the past. However, he had to leave an old phone junction box where there is vinyl now being installed because it is where the junction into the house goes. There is also an older grey box that allows one side for the customer, and the other for the provider (Is this an NIT/Dmark box?). Now here are the questions I have:

There are two lines coming from the street pole - one is the fiber and the other looks like a COAX, which I thought the tech was going to remove. Is the COAX necessary and does it need to remain. I read somewhere that the TV signal is still carried via COAX, and the Fiber is for the data/VOD stuff. In any case, can I cut this coax line loose from the house and pole? Also, this COAX from the pole goes into yet another small grey box (not the Dmark box for the phone wires) that COX cable used to use, and then goes from this grey box to the ONT (it is not a standard looking COAX-the 90V stuff maybe?) Can I get rid of this grey box as well? If I need to keep the coax from the pole, and can bypass the grey box, can I pull it straight into the house for distribution? Or, is this where the 90V digital cable signal is down-converted? It is locked on one side (kind of like the Dmark box for the phone lines)

Can I remove the phone NIT/Dmark and old phone wire junction box and pull the phone line straight from the ONT directly into the house for distribution via a puchdown card or distribution block?  I would just like to get another ugly grey box off my house.

If I do cut the j-box and Dmark box loose, can I use a VOIP phone or a phone switch to plug my existing phones into the router? Basically, since Digital Voice is VOIP, can I plug into the router for home phone usage and get rid of all my crappy phone outlets in the house (I only need one phone for a land line). The phone switch I was thinking of using is the Cisco PAP2T VOIP phone adapter, which is a Bring Your Own Device. Can someone technical please respond to this question, maybe even an employee, as Verizon tech support has kept saying yes I can do it, but I am hesitant.  Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps10024/ps10029/data_sheet_c78-50...

My goal here is to get rid of all the stupid little grey boxes on my house and have one fiber line from the pole to the ONT outside (and the COAX if I have to keep it), then a single coax and phone going inside to a distribution panel from the ONT (oh yeah, and the other wires for the battery backup and power supply that I put through conduit already). It would be nice if I could take the phone line out of the equation if I can use the Cisco Phone Adapter.

I look forward to the help. BTW: This is my first post......please help me out!

0 Likes
Re: I am trying to find a few things out here...
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello TigersRule

This is a peer to peer support forum. It is unlikely that you will get any technical assistance from Verizon here.  You really should contact them directly with your questions.

http://www.verizon.com/contactus

0 Likes
TigersRule
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand this is a peer to peer support, but maybe somebody can share their similar experience. Also, if you would have read my entire post, I stated that Verizon has told me yes and no in both instances. Therefore, your solution of calling Verizon would only yield another answer of yes or no, with no other support for the answer. Also, as a moderator I believe by my statement of saying that I have already spoken with Verizon, you would realize that I do know the link to the "Contact Us" page. Verizon's Customer Service is so awful, they can't answer one question when I call. The company is a joke, and I cannot wait until my service contract expires.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

I do realize that you have called them, TigersRule. But they are really the only ones that can tell you whether it is possible to remove/rearrange your equipment without causing any problems. And as they have said you can do it, that advice should make you good to go, unless you would like to call them back to verify exactly how you plan to go about solving your dilemma, in whch case they may have some valuable tips.

And hopefully, one of our users will have tried something similar and can perhaps assist you as well.

0 Likes