I have recently been getting what I belive to be Spoofed VOIP phone calls - Why is this allowed?
rss245
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I recently got some lame call from a supposedly security service which I know to be nonsense because:

The caller said to be calling from {edited for privacy} gave me some bogus story that my computer was showing signs of a computer virus. I asked him what was the host name and he replied with my last name. The host name of something else so obviously he had no idea what my host name was. Furthermore I see that my hosts are clean as a whistle with no signs of malware

But the lack of hostname knowledge made me sure this was a scam to possibly infact my hosts and allow access g-d forbid to my banks etc.. You can necer be too careful!!!

I also got a similar call from another phone number claiming to be from Mastercard/Visa but clearly they were bogus as

the company disavowed them. Now I beleiev sinister forces are at work here and Verizon is doing too little to stop the spoofing of phone numbers

I would like to see Verizon do more to prevent this VOIP spoofing on my caller ID. I want to know the complete source and destination on every IP  VOIP packet sent.

What if anything can be done about it. Do I need to suspect all my calls or is Verizon going to provide better end to end VOIP checking on its voip lines???

CLEARLY SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO STOP THESE PRACTICES

I FOR ONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS ISSUE ADDRESSED NOW RATHER THAN LATER

PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE FROM VERIZON ADDRESS THIS HORRID ISSUE!!!!!

0 Likes
Re: I have recently been getting what I belive to be Spoofed VOIP phone calls - Why is this allowed?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The basic callerid scheme is totally broken.  It assumes TRUST, which in the modern world is nonsense.  Nothing to do with VOIP its all phone service.  Totally new protocols need to be defined and enforced to stop this.

0 Likes
Re: I have recently been getting what I belive to be Spoofed VOIP phone calls - Why is this allowed?
K_I_S_S
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a legitimite reason to spoof caller ID.  A doctor in a doctor's office might want the main number used as the caller ID and not his personal phone.

Generally there are two services ANI (Automatic Number Identification) and CID or Caller ID.  ANI works for 800 numbers, 911 and some large businesses with their own phone systems.  CID depends on trust.  CID can also indicate a Skype gateway, for example, but who knows how to get the info all thee way back to the Skype user.

it's sort of who is using an IP address.   The IP adress tells very little about the user. The IP, the date and time and the ISP logs could further refine it.

0 Likes