I want to cut Fios phone service but keep Internet
RogueXI

Hello. I'm planning to switch to Vonage and they are able to port my home phone number and in the process they say they will take care of ending phone service with Verizon. My problem is that they say if the phone and internet are bundled they'll end up terminating both.  We have the double play bundle with phone/internet but  we've been out of contract since the summer.  Would it still be considered a bundle or seperate services now?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: I want to cut Fios phone service but keep Internet
KenWVT1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Be careful, I hear it is very difficult to port a number back from Vonage if you don't like their service. Are they really that much cheaper than Verizon ?

-Ken

0 Likes
RogueXI

We don't really use the house phone much since we all have cell phones but we still want a landline just in case. The cheapest vonage package is 11.99 and after taxes it comes out to 15 bucks or so. 

0 Likes
mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

I tried to do the same thing once. I also had an expired bundle package. Verizon told me at the time that it would be no problem to disconnect the phone while keeping the internet. The problem for me was that they also said that if you only have internet you must provide them with a credit card to which they can bill your monthly charges every month. Since I have no credit card I ended up keeping the landline.

0 Likes
locomanjim
Enthusiast - Level 3
ok here is the trick i found. first pay Verizon 2 hundred, then switch your phone to vonage, when you port your number Verizon will turn off your fios fiber/wire phone llne. As long as you keep a positive balance they will never call and ask for a credit card number and you got your phone service moved. when or if you drop internet, let Verizon settle off the bill and request a refund for the rest, you can turn in your equipment to the fois store.
0 Likes