Incoming Call Block Now Defeated by Some Telemarketers
tipandring1

I have started to receive empty voicemails from telemarketers whose numbers I have placed in the incoming call block list. These telemarketers are invisible to both my home phone's caller list, as well as being absent from the Verizon Fios call log. The only way to view the number is by opening the voicemail on my phone.

How can Verizon be tricked into ignoring an incoming call on their network and therefore failing to log it?

0 Likes
Re: Incoming Call Block Now Defeated by Some Telemarketers
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The answer is too easily.  VOIP is particularly vulnerble to fraud. The whole CALLERID system needs to be replaced by something more secure.

seheard
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was sick and tired of all the robo calls either at noon or around dinner time...have reported many to the FTC, but then I found NoMoRobo.com.  Seems to work well and they did receive the FTC Challenge award, so check them out.

Waambo
Enthusiast - Level 3
To truly have effective call blocking system, the end user needs access to the ANI (Automatic Number Identifier) information, like 911 and 800 number customers receive. The Caller ID system is completely separate and easily spoofed. No way is that going to be allowed, V* would lose a lot of their telemarketer income. Another way they defeat the call blocking is to call several times in just a few seconds - I've had that happen. Verizon knows this, they know the majority of telemarketers will not honor the Do Not Call registry - or they disguise a sales marketing call as a poll. Verizon also makes a lot of money selling phone number information to marketing companies. That's why it's virtually impossible to get rid of your Verizon phone service once you have it. I now just have Do Not Disturbed on permanently and if someone leaves a voicemail longer than 5 or 10 seconds I might actually take the time to listen to it.
pl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon offers either to block calls or to notify you of attempted calls.  Why is it they can't manage to block calls from specific numbers yet continue to send emails of calls?  If they would do both, it would make it easy to copy the phone number into the blocked call list.

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

set up DO NOT DISTRUB LIST,  no more headche.  Telephone is use for receive calls and make the calls, If you dont want it, CUT OFF., do not complain.

0 Likes