Long Distance Shortage Charges
tfrye
I have a basic local plan and no long distance plan, yet I am still charged $5.46/mo. for "long distance shortage".  How do I avoid long distance fees/charges?  I use Verizon Wireless cell phones for long distance.
0 Likes
Re: Long Distance Shortage Charges
Suzy
I don't know if you've solved this on your own yet or not, but I just called Verizon and asked if I could cancel just the long distance service because I don't use it either. Like you, I was charged $5.46 a month for nothing!! I use my cell for long distance. It was so very easy I am concerned that it really "took". All they did was say "sure" and cancelled that portion of my bill. VERY simple! If I should use my land line for a long distance call it would be a very high charge probably, but that won't happen anyway! YAY! Good luck to you.
0 Likes
George
We also have a Verizon long distance ploan on one of the phones in which we pay for a number of minutes.  Those minutes have never been exceeded.   Verizon is also tryiing to add a "shortfall charge".  This is called "cramming"...and is illegal.
0 Likes
Cruiseron

If "Short Fall" charges ar illegal? How is it we are charged it?

We have the same problem as you in that we do not use Long Distance enough to hit the $9.99 level! Is there any way to avoid this other than dropping all long distance service?

0 Likes
Cruiseron
Verizon "Short Fall" charge?
We have Basic service and "Talk Time 30", that Plan is $6.50 a month, plus the "Short Fall" charge of #3.49. The Minnium Spend Level (MSL) is $9.99. Last month we made NO long distance calls and it cost a total of $11.37 for making No LD calls.
Has anyone run into this?

My question, if I drop the "Talk Time 30" Plan I understand I still can make LD calls but each call will cost extra. How much?

I do have a cell phone, (my wife refuses to get one!) and do plan on canceling the "Talk Time 30" service Plan. My wife thinks we can restrict LD calls to the Cell Phone.
But am still wondering what kind of charges would be involved in an occasional LD call on the Land Line?
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

I also used to have Talk 30, but often made no LD calls in a month. I simply cancelled the service. If I have to make an LD call, I'll pay a much higher per minute rate, but I'll have to spend a fair amount of time on the phone to reach the $11+ Talk 30 now costs. As far as I was concerned raising the minimum billing to $9.99 per month was simply rape and pillage. (It was however disclosed, buried in the fine pint of the billing notice a few months ago), and I consider the ethics of Verizon to be questionable. It seriously distorts the true cost of the talk 30 program, and while they did disclose it, they did so in a way that few customers were likely to notice until they got their bill. I did notice it, and I did cancel it.  So you can cancel Talk 30 and pay a higher rate per minute, or...

You actually have two other choices. You can buy a prepaid phone card (Walmart, supermarkets, and convenience stores usually have them for sale). These often only cost a few cents per minute. You dial a local or toll free access number to place calls, or you can download and use Skype® (www.skype.com), which allows you to make calls from your computer if you have a broadband internet connection. Skype costs about 2 cents a minute to a real number, and is free to another computer user with Skype installed.

I am using Skype, which is like a prepaid phone card. I have been quite happy with the call quality.

The reality is Long Distance Service is now unregulated, so short of outright fraud, or a signed contract, Verizon is legally free to charge what they want for it.

Message Edited by mattheww50 on 01-06-2009 01:59 PM
Message Edited by mattheww50 on 01-06-2009 02:00 PM
0 Likes