Message Waiting Signal from ONT - Digital Voice
CNJMIKE
Enthusiast - Level 2

We use an Avaya IP office, that detects the MWI indicator that is being refreshed every 30 minutes from the ONT.  We have voicemail, completely turned off on our Digital Voice service because we prefer to use our own voicemail.  Problem is that even though it's all off - the ONT still does this refresh signal every 30 minutes at about 5 minutes past the hour, and the system thinks it's an incoming call. 

Trying to explain this to support is brutal, but based on research, it actually CAN be turned off somewhere in the ONT to stop this refresh signal.  How do I explain this in a service ticket? They don't seem to understand the issue.

0 Likes
Re: Message Waiting Signal from ONT - Digital Voice
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@CNJMIKE wrote:

... based on research, it actually CAN be turned off somewhere in the ONT to stop this refresh signal ... They don't seem to understand the issue ... 

Nor do I. If there are settings in the ONT itself for a refresh signal or any other control, I'm not aware of them and I'd surely like to learn more.  Very interesting query.

Note that there are voicemail control settings in the FiOS Digital Voice pages:

https://www36.verizon.com/FiOSVoice/members/VoiceMailSettings.aspx

Perhaps settings there will address this issue.  However I don't recall seeing settings within the ONT itself for this or other services.

0 Likes
CNJMIKE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope, we already did that in the settings on digital voice.  It gets a bit technical here, which is why it's hard to explain in a service ticket.

Check out THIS post in relation to this:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1701754

Specifically down towards the end where another user quoted this:

"Ok , I have this issue resolved but still requires more data to present to Avaya. Thanks to yankblan for pointing me in the right direction. This is a MWI burst of information. The fibre fed ONT device has a back end(at least with Bell) of Broadsoft as opposed to dms-100. I spoke to our techs in that department and they had run into a similar situation in Quebec. He was able to turn off the MWI indicator. Note that the customer did NOT have voicemail active on the line. The MWI is separate and left on whether or not they have have voicemail. After having it disabled I remained on site and no phantom rings for over an hour. He confirmed that this is standard operation of the Fibre to the business line. The burst occurs every half hour.
Going forward the people in that department will be testing with Our Avaya support group to see what can be done in future releases to stop the Avaya from ringing. Obviously there is an issue here with the Avaya as it only rings on certain releases. If I hear any more info I'll post here."

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@CNJMIKE wrote:

... we already did that in the settings on digital voice... Check out THIS post in relation to this:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1701754active ...

You left me in the dust a while back, but thanks for the update.  This one sounds like the typical 13 year old hacker's dream assignment and I seriously doubt it will be resolved at the tech service level.  Please keep us advised of developments.

0 Likes
CNJMIKE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry I do not understand?

Apparently there are 2 places to turn off the MWI refresh.  One of them is in the ONT in some area.  I know nothing about the ONT, nor care to know - but there is apparently a place to turn that off from bursting every 30 minutes, which in turn makes phones ring once time as a phanthom call. 

There have been other complaints around message boards that "some" cordless phones have their light turn on every 30 minutes due to this signal being sent.. So there is something there that needs to be done.

0 Likes
CNJMIKE
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does anyone from Verizon have an idea of what I am talking about? It's a signal being sent from the ONT every 30 minutes, and supposedly it can be turned off by someone in verizon.

0 Likes
Beelzel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have also been hounded by the recent VM messaging notices... I have had two trouble tickets on this matter with Verizon, both closed. But, still the VM prompt pops up.  I am at present on the phone with another Verizon tech (Amanda) who confirms that there is a VM "stuck" in their VM box (note: I have never accessed or availed of Verizon VM) ... she is checking...

0 Likes