Must dial area code for local calls
Tom-R

A couple of weeks ago, my ability to dial local calls with 7 digits ended. I get a recording saying I must dial the area code. I am in the Albany, NY area (area code 518).  No one else has to dial the area code. I tried to call tech support but I have never been able to get through. I tried on-line chat and was told the extra digits were necessary due to the phone service being voip. Now, TimeWarner Cable has voip service and their customers don't dial the area code for local calls. I can't believe this voip answer that I was given.  Even my Verizon cell phone allows me to only dial 7 digits.

I like the fios service but the availability of support is terrible. Support that I received from TimeWarner was always good to excellent.

The support reminds me of the old show Laugh In where Lily Tomlin played a telephone company operator and her famous line was "We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company."

0 Likes
Re: Must dial area code for local calls
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Unfortunetly anyone on Digital Voice must use 10 digit dialing.  I switched from Vonage to Fios phone and have been getting used to 10 digit dialing.  Its a bit of a nusance at first but after a few weeks you get used to it.  We did have to program all of our speed dials to include the area code.    

0 Likes
ladyvikin

NYC area has had this for many years.  You get used to it.

0 Likes
Tom-R

Thanks for the replies. The weird thing is it worked OK for over 2 years with just 7 digit dialing. NYC is a different situation due to area code overlays. EVERYONE in NYC has to dial 10 digits. I got used to that when I lived in Dallas from 1997-1999. There must have been a software upgrade on the FiOS telephone switch. They have already proven they can't handle upgrades to the FiOS TV system!!

Fortunately, I use my cell phone for 99% of my calls which still allows 7 digit dialing.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You didn't say the type of phone service.  If its FIOS Digital Voice then yes you must use 10 digit phone numbers.  For most other service it is usually only in certain regions like NYC.

0 Likes
Marty39

Welcome to the 21st Century. In NJ we have had to enter the area code for local calls for many years now, even on copper land lines. Something about needing more than one area code for the same area. Whatever. It's the coming thing.

0 Likes
jkn19803

I guess I'll get used to it - I just upgraded my FIOS Internet speed and in the process they must have upgraded me to Digital Voice from standard voice over FIOS. Was surprised the first couple of calls I tried to make by recording to dial area code for local numbers. I wasn't sure whether the 10 digit dialing was due to a setting that hadn't been completed, but it looks like it's just another "feature" that I need to get used to.

0 Likes
jackiel1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The reason this is hard to "get used to" for some of us is that we now have different dialing rules for the same local area, depending on the phone being used. I'm in 914. For local calls it is 10 digits if I'm using digital voice phone, 7 digits if I use my cell phone. And if I'm phoning from someone else's home - I have to ask them what service they have.

All 10 or all 7 would obviously be better.

OR - possibly a different dial tone for when 10 digit dialing is needed in an otherwise 7 digit area code? Similar to the way the "new voicemail waiting" tone works. Verizon?

AND - I'm also confused about when I need the extra 1 in front of the area code...

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You can use or not use the 1 before dialing the area code.  I have programmed my cell phone and all speed dials to include the area code.  If you leave the NY area with your cell and travel outside your home it will tell you that you must dial the area code so i just include the area code on any and all phone numbers nowadays.

When you go to someone elses house using the area code will generally work even though 7 digit dialing may not be required.  Just use all 10 numbers to play it safe, same on the cell.  This way you get used to using 10 digit dialing.

Justin46
Legend

@jumpin68ny wrote:

You can use or not use the 1 before dialing the area code.  I have programmed my cell phone and all speed dials to include the area code.  If you leave the NY area with your cell and travel outside your home it will tell you that you must dial the area code so i just include the area code on any and all phone numbers nowadays.

When you go to someone elses house using the area code will generally work even though 7 digit dialing may not be required.  Just use all 10 numbers to play it safe, same on the cell.  This way you get used to using 10 digit dialing.

Agreed. I just don't understand the angst displayed by some here about dialing 10 digits. We have had to do that on our house phone for at least 15 years, maybe 20, maybe more. The first week or so my wife and I forgot numerous times and were unhappy, but it certainly did not take long to get used to it. And programming the 10 digits into the house and cell phones is no big deal.

I suspect that over time this will become the norm for all phone systems, so it seems to me people just need to make a minor effort to get used to it and move on. There are certainly more important issues in the world that we need to focus on.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes