Need 2nd phone line to have different area code
bcatz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is it possible for me to get a landline (second phone number) that has a different area code than my first? Or even to change primary? I live in 817 and need a 972 for possible employment from home. It cannot be VoIP, must be land line. Thanks much!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need 2nd phone line to have different area code
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

These forums are for customer to customer communication.  Your best bet for getting accurate information about what is available in your area is to contact Verizon directly.

That said, you may be out of luck if you don't want to use VoIP from another provider.  I've never heard of a land-line phone company giving out a normal residential phone number with an area code that doesn't match the geographic location of the subscriber.  The areas codes you listed are not in the same area (i.e. overlays).  If there were overlays, you'd have an easier task.

There is one other option, and that is to setup a foreign line (FX) service.  This is an old tarried service to solve precisely the problem you've described.  It was created decades ago before the data networks and the Internet.  I suspect it to be quite expensive, especially compared with VoIP service.  Again, the best advice I can give is to contact Verizon to find out what they can do for you.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

These forums are for customer to customer communication.  Your best bet for getting accurate information about what is available in your area is to contact Verizon directly.

That said, you may be out of luck if you don't want to use VoIP from another provider.  I've never heard of a land-line phone company giving out a normal residential phone number with an area code that doesn't match the geographic location of the subscriber.  The areas codes you listed are not in the same area (i.e. overlays).  If there were overlays, you'd have an easier task.

There is one other option, and that is to setup a foreign line (FX) service.  This is an old tarried service to solve precisely the problem you've described.  It was created decades ago before the data networks and the Internet.  I suspect it to be quite expensive, especially compared with VoIP service.  Again, the best advice I can give is to contact Verizon to find out what they can do for you.

Good Luck.

bcatz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you very much!

0 Likes