Need To Reclaim A Number
Stresse

Years ago (about three) I had a phone (through my now deceased father) with an absolutely awesome number. 

*I have no idea how he scored that number. He worked at a big financial firm in New York...but yea, it was pretty awesome. 

It was on a prepaid phone. 

Now, I just returned to the USA after spending a couple years out of the country. Before I left, I spoke with my local store manager and was assured that as long as there was a balance, the number would remain available.

However (I found out today) that the balances "expires" or something and if the number isn't being used, the number gets _______ (I forget what they said). 

I'm told the number is currently with the landline department. The number is eligible to be ported and isn't currently in use under another account.

I do not live in New York, but will be taking a job there in a couple of months (I will spend most of my time in MA, but will be working out of NY).

I checked to make sure I wasn't going to lose this treasure of a number, and was given bad information. 

I need help getting that number active on my cell phone (and I don't have a residential address to use to have landline services installed first). 

I am absolutely sure this can be done (I'm also guessing it will be quite complicated).

Please help! 

Jesse

0 Likes
Re: Need To Reclaim A Number
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

These forums are dedicated to Residential products and services offered by Verizon.

For help with Verizon Wireless issues, please post your topic on the Verizon Wireless community.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Stresse

But the number has to be ported from the landline team. 

0 Likes
KWA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You will still need to go through the wireless company to request the number. They will have to request the number be ported to them by the owning company (if it's still available). Depending on where the you are located, numbers are recycled anywhere from 90 days to about 6 months after they have been disconnected.

0 Likes
*Urgent* *Official Verizon Support Needed* Reclaiming Number/Customer Service Failure
Stresse

Years ago (about two) I had a prepaid wireless phone (given to me by my now deceased father) with an absolutely awesome number (I understand I am not supposed to post it here?)
*I have no idea how he scored that number.

It was on a prepaid wireless phone.

I recently returned after spending a couple of years in China. Before I left, I spoke with a Verizon Customer Support supervisor to make sure the number would remain MINE. The representative assured me that with a prepaid account like mine (with a positive balance), I could leave indefinitely and the number would still be here for me when I returned.

I have since learned that prepaid balances "expire" (or something like that) and so that account expired while I was away (I have even been told that because it was more than a year ago, the prepaid department no longer has record of the account...although I've heard so many conflicting things at this point that I'm having a hard time trusting any of the information I've been given by Customer Service representatives.

After spending a majority of the weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) getting bounced around from department to department, my current understanding is that the number IS with the Landline team (not the Wireless team).
*It is worth noting that earlier today, I was speaking with Bill {edited for privacy} (I don't know if that's how he spells it), a supervisor with the business landline department, who ASSURED me the number was not with the landline team.

At 10:41AM PST on Monday, June 5th, 2017, I called (800) 837-4966 from my number (at the time)  and spoke with a Catherine (again, unsure of spelling) who seemed to understand exactly what to do and told me she would be helping me through it all. She was going to have to contact some department or another to have the number released (I wasn't following all the details, I'm a complete muggle about all this stuff, but her tone was very confident and reassuring).

Because I do not have a residence in New York, Catherine was going to have to set the number up as a remote call forwarding service so that it could be ported to Verizon Wireless (where I actually have an account). She informed me the process usually takes 24-48 hours and told me she would call me back then. The only information she got from me (other than my name) was my phone number. That number should still get her my brother (who will be able to pass the call to me), but as of last night, the number is no longer under my Verizon Wireless account.
*Note: In anticipation of reclaiming the number in question, I have since ported that number for my brother to use—he is staying in MA while I am beginning work in NY

Now, having spent the last 4 hours being passed from department to department within the Verizon family (landline and wireless), with everyone giving me conflicting information, everything seems more muddled than ever.

This number is an absolute treasure and Verizon needs to set this right. I have done everything that could be reasonably expected of me, and seem to have been completely screwed (largely due to a massive failure of Verizon's customer service).

I need someone to provide me with all the information I need to reclaim this number. If I am going to need to be contacting customer support, I either need a direct line to someone who can stay with me through this process or I need ALL of the information I need to easily complete this process myself (I have spent way too many hours dealing with customer support).

Thank you for your time and support!

Note: DO NOT tell me this has to go through the wireless department. The landline team has to activate the number first.

0 Likes
Re: *Urgent* *Official Verizon Support Needed* Reclaiming Number/Customer Service Failure
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stresse,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Need Contact For Business Order
Stresse

I've been on the phone for 6 hours in the past 2 days trying to get an RCF (Remote Call Forwarding) line set up with a specific number and agents have had an array of issues (and, of course, they've all told me different things).

I would like a direct line of communication with someone who will be able to push this through for me.

0 Likes
Re: Need Contact For Business Order
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stresse,

Is this related to your earlier topic, here:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone/Need-To-Reclaim-A-Number/m-p/838007

Did you need your Private Support Case to be reopened?

0 Likes
Stresse

Hi LawrenceC,

No, this is a new issue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

The only escalation we can provide through the forums is Private Support.  If this concerns obtaining a landline for the purposes of acquiring the specific phone number you requested, it would be best to reopen the existing Private Support case.

0 Likes