No dial tone, but can leave VM on home number
Mkrgolf
Enthusiast - Level 1
Verizon was supposed to turn service on today, but have no dial tone and internet is not available. Can call home phone from my cell and leave VM. Have tried several jacks and a couple of different phones.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No dial tone, but can leave VM on home number
Mkrgolf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem solved. I told Verizon that we previously had Comcast Digital Voice hoping that would help them diagnose the problem. And we do not have a NID. I stopped a Comcast technician today and told him the issue and he said that the first thing that they do is cut the incoming landline wires when they hook up the digital voice. So I found the terminals and reconnected the wires and now have dial tone. Thanks for all the responses.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Look for a gray box on the outside of the house. It is called a NID (network interface device). Open it with a screwdriver and plug a working phone into the test port and check for dial tone. If you have dial tone there the trouble is yours. Verizon will fix the inside wire but they will bill you unless you have a maintenance plan. If you have no dial tone at the NID call Verizon repair to come out and fix it.
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2
Voice mail works independently of your home phone service so whether it is working or not is no indication either way as to the status of your dial tone service. For example even if all your phone service was knocked out somehow callers would still be able to reach your voicemail and leave you messages.
0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2
Hi there.  I'm sorry about that.  If you send me a private message with the phone number,  I will look into the order for you. 
0 Likes
Mkrgolf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem solved. I told Verizon that we previously had Comcast Digital Voice hoping that would help them diagnose the problem. And we do not have a NID. I stopped a Comcast technician today and told him the issue and he said that the first thing that they do is cut the incoming landline wires when they hook up the digital voice. So I found the terminals and reconnected the wires and now have dial tone. Thanks for all the responses.

0 Likes