Our calls appear as someone else on the Caller ID of the people we call.
MrDrew

I found out today that when we call people from our FIOS landline, the people we call see the name "Che Min Lee" in their caller ID. As it happens, I've been hounded by bill collectors looking for Che Lee ever since we got FIOS nearly two years ago. Verizon gave us our phone number, since Verizon and ATT botched the transfer of our previous phone number. I gather Che Lee was the person who used to have our previous number.

I would like to get our name to appear in the Caller ID when we call our friends, and not this Che Min Lee person. I am also concerned that Verizon may be providing collection agencies with data that associates our phone number with the name of Che Min Lee, causing me to have to deal with an endless stream of pushy and hostile bill collectors. How do I fix this problem?

I tried calling customer support, but all they could do was confirm that phone service is being delivered to our house over the FIOS network correctly. The customer support person suggested I call "ordering".

0 Likes
Re: Our calls appear as someone else on the Caller ID of the people we call.
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

contact billing and ask them to change your " directory listing"

like how you appear in the fone book

that should do the trick

0 Likes
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@MrDrew wrote:

I found out today that when we call people from our FIOS landline, the people we call see the name "Che Min Lee" in their caller ID. As it happens, I've been hounded by bill collectors looking for Che Lee ever since we got FIOS nearly two years ago. Verizon gave us our phone number, since Verizon and ATT botched the transfer of our previous phone number. I gather Che Lee was the person who used to have our previous number.

I would like to get our name to appear in the Caller ID when we call our friends, and not this Che Min Lee person. I am also concerned that Verizon may be providing collection agencies with data that associates our phone number with the name of Che Min Lee, causing me to have to deal with an endless stream of pushy and hostile bill collectors. How do I fix this problem?

I tried calling customer support, but all they could do was confirm that phone service is being delivered to our house over the FIOS network correctly. The customer support person suggested I call "ordering".

MrDrew,

Let me know if you haven't already contacted billing.  I can put in an outbound CallID change request to ACIS (that's the department that is responsible for the change in the database - formerly DBAC).

LMK if you would like me to take care of that for you here and we can continue the conversation over PM.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
VZ_Kevin
Contributor - Level 2

Caller ID display name is a sticky issue because of how it works..

Every provider has a database of numbers and their matching names. When a call comes in to that provider, it pulls the info from the db and sends it with the call to its customer with this info.

SO..

You can have different Caller ID display names on different providers.

If you call another Verizon customer and the entry is wrong then we need to fix it. The Caller ID display name should match the billing name on your account.

If you call a customer on a different provider and the entry is wrong we are not able to fix it. We do not have access to other providers' databases. This creates an issue since this third party provider has no obligation to help you as you are not one of their customers. The party receiving the call and getting the incorrect info needs to call their provider's tech support to have it fixed.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I know it might be a big hassle, but since you are also having calls for this other person, you may wish to request the number be changed at no charge. Since the CID data and provisioning were botched from the start. I don't know if they would do that, or if you would want it done, but just a thought. You would also need to not have the new number referenced by the old number after the change. Hassle is you would need to let everyone know your new number.

0 Likes
MrDrew

Update - I called the number I was given for "ordering", and got the same phone tree I had the first time I called the number on Verizon's web site. At no point was there an option of "ordering". So I navigated back to FIOS tech support. The guy there said he called "ordering" and confirmed that the right name was in the Verizon directory. I asked him to push the directory entry, and he said he did that. I haven't had a chance to call people and see what shows up on their Caller ID.

I told the support person about the bill collectors calling for {edited for privacy}. He was full of nonsense. He said maybe {edited for privacy}gave out the wrong number. I pointed out it would be pretty hard for {edited for privacy} to put their name in Verizon's Caller ID directory, and maybe {edited for privacy} had my phone number before me. He looked that up and confirmed that my number previously belonged to {edited for privacy}.

I asked the support person if they provide their Caller ID directory to bill collectors, and if I was getting these calls because they have been selling a database that says {edited for privacy} still has my number, which has been my number for nearly two years. The customer support representative WOULD NOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION. All he would say was there is no way for Verizon to control who calls my number. That's not what I asked him.

I am very unhappy with Verizon, and I suspect until I called yesterday, they had my number associated with {edited for privacy} and they have been providing this erroneous information to bill collectors. I understand that each phone provider maintains their own Caller ID database, but I don't think it is credible that some other phone company's caller ID database would be two years out of date without some screw up by Verizon.

No Kudos. I see Google Voice in my future.

0 Likes
Libby

Kevin is exactly right! Verizon can only control Verizon's databases. We have no control over other providers & if they update their records in a timely manner!

If you call, from your Verizon provided landline, to another landline, serviced by a provider (not Verizon) & it shows someone else's name on CID, it is up to that other provider to update their records. It's not a Verizon issue.

I hope that helps!

0 Likes