Outgoing call log shows calls from my own number to the same number
toonces2

Every so often, I pick up the phone to dial out and get a fast busy tone.  I hang up, wait a few seconds, and try again, and I have dial tone and can dial out.

I have not noticed any pattern or timeframes when this occurs.

When looking at my online call log, I see calls at very random and arbitrary times of the day in the Outgoing column from my own number and TO the same number.  ALWAYS after that there is an entry that the call went to voice mail.  There is never an actual voice mail message, of course; I guess it hangs up before VM detects a valid message.

There appears to be an entry like this every single day, but, again, at very different times and with no discernible pattern.

Why is my own phone number trying to dial out to itself and at various times of day and night? 

0 Likes
Re: Outgoing call log shows calls from my own number to the same number
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

One way to access the voicemail to listen to your messages is by dialing your own home phone number from the home line. Have you checked with other people in the house to see if they are checking the voicemail at these times?

0 Likes
rosindabow

I'm experiencing the same thing.  Have you had any help?

0 Likes
rosindabow

To be more specific.  I looked at my log and there are approximately 20 calls per month to a phone in Provicence RI (I'm in California), most of them for 1 minute, the smae number.  At times, the call is at the same time as I am on the phone.  At other times, these calls are being made when no one is home.  I've tried calling Verizon repair but they cannot seem to find anything.  And they said that since I have the unlimited nationwide plan, why should I worry?  I am worrying because I am not making these phone calls and I don't like the idea that someone or some machin has access to my home landline.  Please post if you ever get any resolution.  Thanks.

0 Likes
dontgetit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue - any siggestions?

0 Likes
VZCableCustomer

Having the same issue. Calls being made FROM my Maryland home landline TO a Virginia number.

I tried calling the number from my office phone, but it goes straight to an unoccupied voicemail.

When I first called about it, the Verizon representative also reassured me there was no charge for these calls, but that is not the issue. The issue is that someone or some machine has access to my home landline and it is making these calls. She was pretty insistent that it must be someone in my home, but much like others have stated, the records show that calls are made when no one is home, or when we are all home watching TV in the living room. We have one phone in the kitchen, so there are no secret calls being made. And certainly not 20+ times a month.

The first representative transferred me to another tech. At first, the new tech dismissed the idea that there could be cross-wiring (what the first tech suggested) because it's over the internet. There are no physical wires to cross.

The tech eventually ran a test and determined there was a "short bound in the wiring," so she said she was going to "reboot the ONC." I don't know what any of that means.

The test came back successful, and she was able to block the number (inbound and outbound).

I told both techs that this problem is not unique to my account; that there are several people on Verizon forums reporting the same issue.

She was not able to explain why, so we are no closer to figuring this out.

All I can recommend is calling Verizon tech support and having the number blocked. We'll see what happens with the next bill.

Also, if it's worth typing out, make sure you're reviewing your bills from Verizon. I've had to call at least five times in the 4.5 months about one thing or another.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do any of you have any alarm systems, satelite receivers, or any other modem-equipped device connected to the phone line?

0 Likes
VZCableCustomer

Smith6612,

I do not have any alarm systems, satelite receivers, or any other modem-equipped devices connected to the phone line.

I called to have that one repeated Virginia number blocked, and now I'm having the identical issue with another Virginia number. A 540 number this time. This bill says my Verizon landline made 23 calls to this 540 number during the last billing cycle. I tried calling the number from my office phone, and it says something like, "if you have a voicemail set up with this system, please enter your number now."

Will I have to call every month with another number I need blocked? Why are these calls happening?

Verizon? Are you there? Are you going to answer any of these forum questions?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VZCableCustomer wrote:

Smith6612,

Verizon? Are you there? Are you going to answer any of these forum questions?

FYI, this forum is generally peer-to-peer.  Everyone except the Verizon moderators are just regular customers.  Some of us have been posting helpful stuff for a while and have earned the special designations you see, but we don't speak for Verizon or have any special knowledge of or access to Verizon's systems.

Sometimes the Verizon moderators will escalate issues when customers haven't gotten resolution through normal channels.  When that happens, the Verizon support team takes over and continues the conversation through private messages

Bottom line, if you want a response from Verizon you need contact them using the phone or online chat.  Posting here or other web forums and hoping you get a response isn't very productive.  Just contact them, they can often be helpful.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
JanIam1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you ever find the solution to this?? This is happening at my house and it is also a virginia number!  Does anyone know that answer?

0 Likes