Permanently blocking a caller regardless of the "area code"
csellner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello.  I can't seem to find anything similar to this in the archives.  There is a pest caller calling me that has a number very similar to my own, only the last 2 digits are different, the rest looks like my phone number.  Originally they started calling me with the area code the same as mine, but I was able to block them and get rid of them for a while but they just start up again with a different area code.  Same phone number though.  Today they called about 6 times within an hour and while I don't answer it, they just try again  within a few minutes.  Is there a way to block these annoying calls by phone number regardless of the area code the call looks like it is coming from?  Obviously they are spoofing the number.  I'm only able to block 10 phone numbers through the support page, and my phone doesn't have a blocking feature.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Permanently blocking a caller regardless of the "area code"
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon FiOS's digital voice does not have any way to do what you want.

If the "pest" caller is a telemarketer type, try using nomorobo.com.  It works great with these types of callers and is free.

A search for "call blocker" on Amazon provides lots of potential solutions, should you want to purchase and install your own equipment.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon FiOS's digital voice does not have any way to do what you want.

If the "pest" caller is a telemarketer type, try using nomorobo.com.  It works great with these types of callers and is free.

A search for "call blocker" on Amazon provides lots of potential solutions, should you want to purchase and install your own equipment.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
csellner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks about nomorobo.com.  I use that, and it blocks (with a single ring) many robocallers, but not this one.  The latest area code is 406 and looking that up it appears to be a cell phone caller.  By the way, I work as a contractor for the FTC and the Do Not Call list, so I try to report every robocaller and telemarketer and urge others to do the same.  It's just this pesky one with a phone number almost the same as mine that keeps changing only the area code to get past my blocks.  I'm going to report this one, too, again.  Maybe the FTC is getting a lot of these and will look into them, but I know it isn't an overnight solution for them to investigate, but I know for a fact that they do.

Thanks for the reply!

0 Likes
lisaansley

I used to have the same problem, too. I get a lof nuisance calls coming from different phone numbers but funnily, the messages were all about vacuum cleaners. What caught my attention was that the phone numbers came from different states. Did these people share the same customer list?

0 Likes
lisaansley

I reported the phone numbers to www.callercenter.com and told everyone how the scammer tried to scam me. I hoped it was helpful.

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

set up DO NOT DISTRUB list  couple days, but that is only 10 numbers for your friends & family

0 Likes
csellner
Enthusiast - Level 2

@manhattanNYC wrote:

set up DO NOT DISTRUB list  couple days, but that is only 10 numbers for your friends & family

I looked at that feature, but it looks like a pain.  I found out this week that I am able to block calls directly from my phone.  Yay!  The owners manual doesn't mention it that I could find easily, but when I added a number to my phonebook I found an option that said "block".  Awesome.  My phone is quiet in the morning again for now.

0 Likes