Persistent Landline Noise
jf_____

I have persistent and loud hum on my land line.  It varies between very bad and extremely bad.  If the answering machine picks up a call it usually just records a hum until it terminates the connection.  Verizon service people have been out multiple times and say that it is a problem with Verizon wiring somewhere between my house and Woodbury but they cannot fix it.

That's a pretty strange response.  I know that it can be fixed since we are not breaking the laws of physics and long ago it did indeed work.  So my question is, how do I get Verizon to fix the line?

0 Likes
Re: Persistent Landline Noise
Karl_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hi JF -- I sent you a message to get more information about the problems you're having.  Please get back to me when you're able.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Persistent Landline Noise
jf_____

I have logged a request as you specified.

The hum is always present and makes the phone almost unusable.

It is typically worse for our end of the call vs. the person at the other end, but they also easily hear the hum.

We were told by servicemen that it is likely moisture in the cable in one or more places between our house and the Woodbury NJ station.

From an old document I found for POTS I measured some voltages on the tip & ring.

Tip to Ring should be < 0.5 VAC measured 0.45 VAC (rms)

Tip to Gnd should be < 0.5 VAC measured 17.5 VAC

Ring to Gnd should be < 0.5 VAC measured 17.5 VAC

Phone we're talking about is {edited for privacy}.  I would assume that's all you need to get records.

We have DSL but I do not know if it is also affecting the DSL.

Thanks.

Jim

0 Likes