Porting in from Vonage
shagg1

Just got suckered into that triple play package. So ok, i'll bite.

Now I'm wanting to port in a Vonage number to Fios digital voice. I've done the 3rd party verification 4 times with 4 different agents. Have waited a month and a half for the port process to complete. I called Vonage and they say it's Verizon. Verizon says it's Vonage. Back and forth back and forth back and forth.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Porting in from Vonage
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

There are a lot of steps that need to be followed when porting numbers and one misstep can cause a lot of havoc. Only one company can claim ownership of the number at any one time. Whichever support line you call, they should be able to look up the number and see what company has it. If its with Vonage, they need to move it. If it's with Verizon, we need to get it into our systems and get it working. 

The business office will be closed until Monday, but if you call into tech support at 1-800-837-4966 they should be able to help

0 Likes
Renee611

I had the same problem. I began a process of porting a number back to verizon. A number that I had w/verizon for 10yrs. After finally speaking with an Verizon rep. , it was suggested that I get rid of the old number and get a fresh new number;  The assistant said due to problems when porting #'s in from Vonage. So reluctantly I did because I was at wits end with the slew of Verizon reps i had been talking to and a total of 3 hours holding listening to music the past 5 days. All in all Verizon lost my 1st work order # , then on the 2nd work order # the start date came & went. But on that start date a tech , called me at work from my back yard and said it was set up, happily I went home to have no dial tone, & no internet. After that I talked to 10 more people to find out that "Oh Yeah" the tech, made a notation that Verizon still needs a connection done at their "Internal Office" didn't our technician tell you that?? No he didnt bother ....3 more day wait......My suggestion to Verizon is that they need to focus alot more on better communication skills to help customers know what is going on so they dont' have this type of stress un-necessarily.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, does the number work at all on Verizon?   For instance, can other Verizon customers call you on your original number but using the Verizon phone lines?

If so, this is a common problem with port-outs from Vonage.   They hold your number in their routes for 30 days after the port completes and you tell them to discontinue your service.   After the 30 days is up, they are supposed to automatically release the number, but usually don't.   A call to Vonage telling them you ported out 30+ days prior and that only Vonage customers are unable to reach you on your new provider's number will usually key their support folks into purging it from their database -- and if not, you can specifically tell them that's what is needed.

If however it's still with Vonage and the port in has completed, then you need to call Verizon's tech service to get it figured out.   Once you complete all the proper steps, they should give you a port date for the number and the number will move at some point during that particular day.

0 Likes
Renee611

Thank you, we finally have a dial tone now, but my security system was knocked off line by Verizon also.That's another service call.... But, no. That would not be the problem here anyway, as explained in my initial email post. I took a "completely different phone #" at the Verizon reps. suggestion to avoid the chronic problem that you have described, regarding, the 30day hold that Vonage has over port-out phone #'s. My issue as I mentioned , is that I would like to see better modes of communication from Verizon; ie, (1)less time holding on listening to music; (2) less transfers from one agent to another all over the globe, which you have to repeat your order# and problem again and again. (3) Correct notes from the field tech. to the Verizon main offices & customer while he is talking to the customer, & not saying its connected when he knows it will be a 2day wait for internal wiring, so you get home with no dial tone, DSL etc..call verizon, listen to 15 more minutes of music then switched to 3 more reps.on & on....(4) And a very big help would be a 24hr live chat line and not the canned one that is used now.

0 Likes
aaviator1

I have been having a similar problem.  I was told by Verizon that both my primary home number, and our second line would be portable from Vonage.  This was a significant consideration in signing up for the Triple Play.  I have spent countless hours on the phone with Verizon for the last month trying to get these numbers ported. Nothing seems to work.  We have been forced to use "temporary" numbers since Thanksgiving.  Now Verizon is telling me that our second line number is NOT portable!  This will be a real issue, since that number is used for calls from a business enterprise, and significant advertising, signage, etc has our second phone number on it.  To make matters even odder, Calls to our old primary number, (The one we want to port over) are being forwarded to my CELLULAR phone number!  Call Forwarding is NOT set up with Vonage, and even if it were, I would have it forward to the "temporary" number given to us by Verizon.

I am amazed by the inability of ANYONE I have spoken with at Verizon to fix this issue. It is as if they have NEVER TRIED TO PORT A NUMBER BEFORE!  Come On! Why is this so hard?

0 Likes
shagg1

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I finally got verizon to port in my number from Vonage. Now I have 2 lines. My original line and the line I ported in. NOW they tell me I can't cancel my first line because it is a primary line. They tell me I will be charged 9.99 for the second line which is the one I ported in.

PS. Been on hold now for 48 minutes while I wait to speak to a supervisor. How do these people keep their jobs. MUST be a union job.

0 Likes