Possible to block 411 calls???
Garry
Enthusiast - Level 2

My elderly mother keeps making 411 (directory assistance) calls and it's driving the phone bill up more than it needs to be. In fact this past month she managed to add over $18 to the bill just in 411 calls alone.

I've tried explaining to her that it's not free any more like it was a loong time ago, but she either doesn't understand or doesn't care.

I'm the one who's been paying the bill on the phone service for her, but her dialing 411 to get a phone number for simple things that could be looked up in the phone book is getting ridiculous.

Is it at all possible to have 411 disabled on the service?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Possible to block 411 calls???
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

You need to talk to Verizon. If your mother is considered disabled, and the phone service is in her name, I believe you can it get set up so that 411 calls are free.

I seriously doubt you can block 411 calls without blocking a lot of other things.

0 Likes
phillyphone
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes there is an optional feature named Call Gate which will allow you to block virtually any type of outgoing call including calls to directory assistance, be they 411 or 555-1212. I
0 Likes
Gerber
I'm having the same problem with my mother-in-law, she starting to forget stuff and she managed to call directory assistance 176 times in one month.  That's a $355 phone bill!! (Did I mention that she lives on Social Security.) I asked the Live Chat lady on Verizon to block 411, but I'm still able to get thru to directory assistance on her phone so I don't know that it worked. 
0 Likes
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

i believe a toll block would work as well.

also verizon gives some free 411 calls if they qualify

0 Likes